Submersible diameter

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
my well pipe is 4” sch 40. From what I found, submersible pumps are about 3-7/8” in diameter. This is only 1/16” clearance per side. How can this possibly pull 12 GPM? What am I missing here?

Reach4

Reaction score
If the 4 inch casing is steel, I think you would consider one of the slightly smaller diameter pumps, which are 3.75. These might be called Trimline, Slimline, or some such. The motor is 3.75 usually, but the pump can be bigger including the wire path.

The steel casing can have rust that can reduce the diameter in places. So it is not a matter of passing water, but avoiding the pump from getting stuck as it gets pulled. For more margin in steel casings, the 2.9 inch "3 inch" pumps are often suggested. I passed on that, and had my old Trimline put back after my pit was demolished and a pitless adapter was installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks