Submersible diameter

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by banjo bud, Nov 6, 2018.

1. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

my well pipe is 4” sch 40. From what I found, submersible pumps are about 3-7/8” in diameter. This is only 1/16” clearance per side. How can this possibly pull 12 GPM? What am I missing here?

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    There is a lot more room there than you think. I have tested and you can easily get up to 40 GPM through that opening.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If the 4 inch casing is steel, I think you would consider one of the slightly smaller diameter pumps, which are 3.75. These might be called Trimline, Slimline, or some such. The motor is 3.75 usually, but the pump can be bigger including the wire path.

The steel casing can have rust that can reduce the diameter in places. So it is not a matter of passing water, but avoiding the pump from getting stuck as it gets pulled. For more margin in steel casings, the 2.9 inch "3 inch" pumps are often suggested. I passed on that, and had my old Trimline put back after my pit was demolished and a pitless adapter was installed.

5. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Active Member

Mud rotary well driller, pump installer
    I've got plenty of 7.5HP pumps making close to 100 gpm in 4" wells....plenty of room.

valveman likes this.
  6. greenmonster123

greenmonster123 Member

Yes i have a handfull of 5 hp 75 gpm pumps in 4” casings that do almost 100 gpm

valveman likes this.