Stuck valve shut off PEX to copper

Users who are viewing this thread

human

Reaction score
I was disconnecting our old dishwasher. Everything going great but then I broke the shut off valve under the sink. Why do these damn things stick so bad! It just turns and turns either way now. The current valve goes from pex condo plumbing to copper inline to dishwasher (no idea why it's copper).

uc

Would this sharkbite valve work to replace it without the need for crimps or anything like that?:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-inch-x-14-inch-sharkbite-angle-stop.1000862070.html
How do I get the old one off? The crimping has no tabs, am I going to have to buy a pex cutter?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure that valve is really broken? In line with the outlet is on, and 90 degrees off of that is off.
If you want to sharkbite it you can. Any sharp knife will cut PEX. You will need a tubing cutter to cut the copper though.

human

Reaction score
Are you sure that valve is really broken? In line with the outlet is on, and 90 degrees off of that is off.
If you want to sharkbite it you can. Any sharp knife will cut PEX. You will need a tubing cutter to cut the copper though.
Oh wow! What a fool! Everything I was reading online said turn until it doesn't anymore. Tried it just now at ninety degrees and everything is fine. Thank you!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, I'd prefer copper to a flexible supply line to the DW because it is stronger and should last indefinitely, while a hose may wear out eventually. It might be harder to swap in a new DW later on, but not impossible.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are we sure that the gold/orange tubing in the photo is PEX?

Can you see markings on the back side?

You can use a mirror or camera to see the back.

human

Reaction score
Everything is fine now, the new dishwasher comes tomorrow and I'll try to reuse the copper line. If I have trouble I'll run to hardware store for a flexible hose. Not sure what the piping is made of, the cold blue says Kitec made by Ipex made in Canada

human

Reaction score
oh great just saw a bunch of articles about Kitec being garbage and class actions out the ying yang.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks