Stubborn clog or something worse?

Users who are viewing this thread

L. Brown667

Reaction score
I'm visiting a friend so I don't know if there were issues before I got here or not
I tend to think it's been building and she just didn't notice
Anyway, her toilet overflowed the 1st night I got here
Plunging it didn't clear the clog & as I kept trying, it backed up into the shower (SO gross!!)
I tried a snake to no avail and also tried to use the snake in the shower drain
After that, when the toilet was flushed, it would fill to where it almost overflowed, then drain slowly
It didn't ever really flush though
Then, tonight, when I flushed, it did the same thing but backed up into the shower without any plunging
I don't know if it matters but she's on a well
Plus, there's a water softening system with tanks, a pump, some doohickeys and a couple of whatchamacallits too haha
She just had a plumber come out and fix a hose bib that had frozen & was leaking
We were hoping that would solve the toilet issue but it didn't
She'd rather not have to pay for another service call if she doesn't have to
I consider myself pretty handy but haven't really dealt with a lot of plumbing issues aside from normal clogs, frozen pipes etc
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Houptee

Reaction score
You might have to pull the toilet to snake the main pipe its clogged further down if shower is backed up. Might have to rent a power snake or get a pro in there. They make a hose that hooks to a pressure washer its a sewer jetter it sprays high pressure to blast the pipe clean. Not sure if you can rent that but I have seen them on eBay etc.

Reach4

Reaction score
Then, tonight, when I flushed, it did the same thing but backed up into the shower without any plunging
I don't know if it matters but she's on a well
When is the last time she had the septic pumped? Not getting the septic pumped can ruin the distribution field. That is very expensive. She should move on this now if there is any chance that the septic tank is too full. The penalty for getting the septic pumped a couple years early is minor. The penalty for late is large.

There may be a clog. If you/she has the pressure washer, the ClogHog could clear that. However the water from that can flood the area. Also note that plunging a toilet over a clogged drain line can blow out the wax. If the drain cleaning involves access through the closet flange, that has the advantage that the wax gets replaced.

This should be a high priority financially.

Don't try to address this situation with chemicals.

Last edited:

Mliu

Reaction score
Plus, there's a water softening system with tanks, a pump, some doohickeys and a couple of whatchamacallits too haha
Best plumbing description ever! LOL :D

She just had a plumber come out and fix a hose bib that had frozen & was leaking
We were hoping that would solve the toilet issue but it didn't
No one asked the plumber about the toilet problem when he was there?

L. Brown667

Reaction score
When is the last time she had the septic pumped? Not getting the septic pumped can ruin the distribution field. That is very expensive. She should move on this now if there is any chance that the septic tank is too full. The penalty for getting the septic pumped a couple years early is minor. The penalty for late is large.

There may be a clog. If you/she has the pressure washer, the ClogHog could clear that. However the water from that can flood the area. Also note that plunging a toilet over a clogged drain line can blow out the wax. If the drain cleaning involves access through the closet flange, that has the advantage that the wax gets replaced.

I know the septic hasn't been pumped since she moved in 4 or 5 years ago
Her landlord is one of those guys that waits til something is broken, falling down, leaking or on fire before he does anything
Without fail, he'll try to Mickey Mouse the problem to save money
You'd think he would learn considering his "bandaid" ends up costing him more than if he'd just done it right the 1st time
Is there any way I can check the septic to see if it's full?
**A way that doesn't involve me getting too close to a huge bunch of nasty?**
We don't have a pressure washer so that's out
I forgot to mention that the 1st time I plunged the toilet, there was water coming out of the bottom where it bolts to the floor
My 1st thought was the wax ring needed to be replaced
But they were barely hand tight so I tightened them and it doesn't do that anymore
However, I did notice that the washers and bolts don't look like they came from a toilet repair kit
They're mismatched size wise if that makes sense
So...should I go ahead and replace the wax ring just in case?
And don't worry about me going all Bill Nye the Science Guy and pouring chemicals down the drain
I try to avoid any chemical that can "eat away" at anything!
Thanks for your reply
If we end up calling her wanna be McGuyver landlord, I'm gonna need some hip waders
Let me know if there's a good sale on them lol

L. Brown667

Reaction score
Best plumbing description ever! LOL :D

I'm not sure if you're laughing WITH me or AT me
But I'm going to assume it's WITH
If not, I'm ok with living in denial!

No one asked the plumber about the toilet problem when he was there?

I did ask the plumber if the leak could cause the problem with the toilet
He said no
That the leak was too small to cause any issues
I guess I should've asked him specifically to look into it but was hoping he was wrong and the problem would be resolved
That'll teach me to be hopeful when it comes to poo!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
I know the septic hasn't been pumped since she moved in 4 or 5 years ago
Her landlord is one of those guys that waits til something is broken, falling down, leaking or on fire before he does anything

No way I try to check the septic tank on my own. If something goes wrong, you/she can be blamed for whatever goes wrong. Do communicate the suspicion to the landlord.

So...should I go ahead and replace the wax ring just in case?
Should we infer the rent is really cheap, so you and you/she are willing to do your own work rather than moving? If it is the matter of a lease, document the problems and your communications. It could be use to help break the lease without penalty if you like.

Replace the wax ring without an actual symptom yet? As a tenant, I would not do that.

L. Brown667

Reaction score
Ummm
You might have to pull the toilet to snake the main pipe its clogged further down if shower is backed up. Might have to rent a power snake or get a pro in there. They make a hose that hooks to a pressure washer its a sewer jetter it sprays high pressure to blast the pipe clean. Not sure if you can rent that but I have seen them on eBay etc.

Ummm, yeah
I think I want to avoid "blasting" anything anywhere near this
I'll leave that to the pro's
I'm handy but I'm also a big ol' girl when it comes to anything septic related
Just plunging the toilet/shower gave me the heebie jeebies
I'll shove a snake down there but if there's a chance of anything shoving back?
I'm out!
But thank you for the suggestion

PS She does have a powered snake that her Dad gave her but it looks like it's a little above my skill level so we're all better off if I leave it right where it is

L. Brown667

Reaction score
No way I try to check the septic tank on my own. If something goes wrong, you/she can be blamed for whatever goes wrong. Do communicate the suspicion to the landlord.

Should we infer the rent is really cheap, so you and you/she are willing to do your own work rather than moving? If it is the matter of a lease, document the problems and your communications. It could be use to help break the lease without penalty if you like.

Replace the wax ring without an actual symptom yet? As a tenant, I would not do that.

No, her rent isn't cheap
The good thing is she is moving in January
I think the fact that I'd rather do it myself than deal with her landlord says it all
He's not a bad guy but he's one of those that'll jump over a dollar to pick up a dime
But, I will have her call him
Y'all keep your fingers crossed that I don't end up in hip waders!

Mliu

Reaction score
I understand the issue about the landlord. But if he wants to waste his money doing a cheap fix, then having to re-do it with the right fix, then that's on him. Bottom line: it's his responsibility to make the home livable.

If he doesn't fix it right the first time, keep calling him back until he does. If your personal property gets damaged due to his negligence, then you have grounds to file a claim against him.

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
I understand that you and your friend don't want to deal with the landlord because he won't fix it right. As a landlord in Nevada I can tell you that the law is on your side, not his. Give him written notice of the problem. He has 14 days to fix the problem (correctly). If he doesn't fix it in 14 days, you have a number of remedies, including terminating the lease, withholding the rent, and collecting damages. See Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 118A. You don't have to live with toilets that don't flush. If it were my rental I would have had a reputable plumber there the same day you called me. I hate it when these types give landlords a bad name.

Houptee

Reaction score
If you don't tell the landlord about this and it keeps overflowing and damages the building he might be able to keep the security.
Also the lease probably says tenant not authorized to do any repairs without approval from landlord.
Notify the landlord of this issue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, a septic tank is normally always full...put something in, the same amount SHOULD go out, with the solids falling to the bottom and bacteria breaking down a lot of it into liquids. What doesn't dissolve, accumulates in the bottom of the tank, and this reduces the volume, making it less efficient in the solids being separated. Once the solids get too deep, you must pump it all out. If solids get washed out into the leach field, they clog it up, eventually preventing it from being able to absorb the liquids, and at that point, things back up into the house.

So, if that's happening, while the level might slowly go down because it isn't fully clogged in the field, a lot of damage has been done and it may need rebuilding. But, if it's a partial clog in the line going to the tank, than that should be fixable.

A powered snake can be dangerous to those not trained in their use...people can lose fingers, etc., if things get caught and then wrap around bits. Probably the safest for a for an amature is the pressure water jet device. Depending on where the clog is, that may not work, and a powered one may be needed to chew its way through whatever is clogged there. There are other possibilities, it could be the line collapsed partially, or tree roots have clogged it up, and more.

Mliu

Reaction score
Even the water jet device can be dangerous. A pressure washer can put out over 3,500psi of pressure. Focus that water pressure through tiny nozzles and it has the ability to cut open flesh or inject water into the body at high pressure. And with gasoline-powered pressure washers, there's also the danger of CO poisoning if you try to use it inside the house.

L. Brown667

Reaction score
I understand the issue about the landlord. But if he wants to waste his money doing a cheap fix, then having to re-do it with the right fix, then that's on him. Bottom line: it's his responsibility to make the home livable.

If he doesn't fix it right the first time, keep calling him back until he does. If your personal property gets damaged due to his negligence, then you have grounds to file a claim against him.
You're right
I'm trying to talk her into calling the landlord
I tend to be a little stubborn and get in a, "Screw it, I'll fix it my darn self" (that was edited out of respect for the forum My Mother would wash my mouth out with soap for what I actually say :()
But I'll put my stubbornness aside and work whittling hers down so she'll call the landlord
Thanks again for your input

L. Brown667

Reaction score
I understand that you and your friend don't want to deal with the landlord because he won't fix it right. As a landlord in Nevada I can tell you that the law is on your side, not his. Give him written notice of the problem. He has 14 days to fix the problem (correctly). If he doesn't fix it in 14 days, you have a number of remedies, including terminating the lease, withholding the rent, and collecting damages. See Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 118A. You don't have to live with toilets that don't flush. If it were my rental I would have had a reputable plumber there the same day you called me. I hate it when these types give landlords a bad name.
I will look on NRS but every time I look anything up on NRS, I get frustrated with it
I haven't mastered getting directly to the info I need or I get sidetracked when I find information on other subjects that have nothing to do with my original search
Since you're a landlord in Nevada, I actually have some questions that aren't plumbing related
If you'd be willing to answer them, let me know
I don't want to "clog up" (pun intended) the forum though
I haven't looked to see if there's an option for private messaging
But if there's not and you're willing to answer a couple of lease related questions, I can give you my email
If not, that's ok
I appreciate your input

L. Brown667

Reaction score
If you don't tell the landlord about this and it keeps overflowing and damages the building he might be able to keep the security.
Also the lease probably says tenant not authorized to do any repairs without approval from landlord.
Notify the landlord of this issue.

Good point
I've GOT to stop being stubborn and thinking of things from both sides
Thanks for pointing out the negative side of my "I'll just do it!!" attitude
I tend to forget that my way isn't always the right way

L. Brown667

Reaction score
FWIW, a septic tank is normally always full...put something in, the same amount SHOULD go out, with the solids falling to the bottom and bacteria breaking down a lot of it into liquids. What doesn't dissolve, accumulates in the bottom of the tank, and this reduces the volume, making it less efficient in the solids being separated. Once the solids get too deep, you must pump it all out. If solids get washed out into the leach field, they clog it up, eventually preventing it from being able to absorb the liquids, and at that point, things back up into the house.

So, if that's happening, while the level might slowly go down because it isn't fully clogged in the field, a lot of damage has been done and it may need rebuilding. But, if it's a partial clog in the line going to the tank, than that should be fixable.

A powered snake can be dangerous to those not trained in their use...people can lose fingers, etc., if things get caught and then wrap around bits. Probably the safest for a for an amature is the pressure water jet device. Depending on where the clog is, that may not work, and a powered one may be needed to chew its way through whatever is clogged there. There are other possibilities, it could be the line collapsed partially, or tree roots have clogged it up, and more.

You guys have convinced me that plunging a toilet is where my plumbing problem solving should end
I should've known anything with the word "snake" was above & beyond my abilities
Thanks for the septic info and finger saving advice

L. Brown667

Reaction score
Even the water jet device can be dangerous. A pressure washer can put out over 3,500psi of pressure. Focus that water pressure through tiny nozzles and it has the ability to cut open flesh or inject water into the body at high pressure. And with gasoline-powered pressure washers, there's also the danger of CO poisoning if you try to use it inside the house.

Yep, y'all have convinced me I'm out of my league
I don't want any part of snakes or pressure putting me in the direct line of flying poo!!

Reach4

Reaction score
FWIW, a septic tank is normally always full
Depends how you define full.
ventilation-blog-post.jpg

With a blocked exit from the tank, would you say the tank becomes fuller than full?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks