Struggling to remove pitiless adapter for submersible well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Upscale22

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have an idea on how to remove this pitiless adapter from 1970’s home in Chicago suburbs (just in case there was a typical brand used).

I used conduit and a vacuum to remove rust and was able to thread a 1” black pipe in the center, but it just won’t lift out!

Is the side with the square head some kind of release lever maybe?

Thank you

Attachments

• C2D6910C-6BED-46AA-88FB-23EAB97A0E4F.jpeg
    C2D6910C-6BED-46AA-88FB-23EAB97A0E4F.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 22B68C54-4A6A-4005-9136-9B62D74F5F69.jpeg
    22B68C54-4A6A-4005-9136-9B62D74F5F69.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 124

Upscale22

Reaction score
I’ve seen people ask for pictures of what the well looks like, so here’s an image of that. Hopefully something helps someone provide a suggestion as I’m out of ideas (other than using conduit with a bend as a hook and seeing if I can yank something up with that, such as a latch that’s maybe locking the pitiless adapter in place).

0C40E1A6-6004-443D-A295-BF669A2203AF.jpeg

Upscale22

Reaction score
Update: I was able to clean it up a little by using baking soda and vinegar down metal conduit using a funnel, but still no luck pulling it out. I feel the pipe to the house would be on the top of this picture, so by every image I’ve seen I’ve pitiless adapters I’m left confused by the bottom of this image (rectangle piece with a square on top. The square reminds me of a cap you’d put on a gas pipe, so I wonder if it needs turned somehow?).

I tried using bent conduit to lift up everywhere I could reach and nothing seemed to happen.

Attachments

• 35480816-9A31-44D5-822B-0D040C6E5E23.jpeg
    35480816-9A31-44D5-822B-0D040C6E5E23.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 123

Upscale22

Reaction score
Update: I’m onto something when I search “Williams open hole pit adapter.” I think I use a “Williams” socket and that could be a latch that gets unlocked.. so now just need to figure out how to get/make a 8’ pole that can hold the Williams adapter.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Upscale22

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. That post is the closets I’ve ever seen, but I’m not sure it’s the same since it does not look like mine has any space to loosen/tighten.

No matter what, I need to turn that square (which is now the shiny piece on this picture). That post taught me that a Curb Key should hopefully work.. but now I’m trying to find a long one. Can find 5’, but I know my 10’ black threaded pipe only sticks 3’ out of the hole, so still trying to figure out how to turn the square. Sadly the wife is begging me to hire this out at this point!
5E6ADEDB-8CCD-455E-90C0-8B6AAADE94B3.jpeg

How about sucking thru that piece of EMT conduit with your wet-dry vacuum, and removing more. Use your hand or duct tape to transition the size.

Is the bright colored area in the middle recessed? Nothing in your photo looks square to me. Does your cellphone camera have a "night mode"?

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/odd-pitless-adapter-help-needed.65228/ is that what you suspect you have?

Reach4

Reaction score
Ahh. I see the square. For measuring the size, you might push a piece of wood down on that square to make an impression that you can measure.

It looks like you have a t-handled pulling pipe screwed in for lifting.

What ID is your casing?

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
Upscale 22 You may be able to take a piece of half inch black gas pipe and smash the end down to fit over your square bolt to make your own key to get that loose. I can't say I have ever pulled a pit less exactly like that one. But I have smashed black pipe to make keys to loosen other types of pit less. If you can determine the size of that square you could buy a square drive socket and weld it to a piece of black pipe also.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you can determine the size of that square you could buy a square drive socket and weld it to a piece of black pipe also.
If it 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch, the square drive hole could be used as the socket.

What I would not do is to use a 12 point socket to fit over the square. That would be much more likely to round off the corners.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks