Odd Pitless adapter help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianSmith

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a well with an old style pitless adapter that I am trying to re-install and I can't seem to get it set right in the correct spot to mate up with the plumbing to the house.

It is not the shoe type where the wedge slides into the shoe. It's similar to the type that has the springloaded cam but instead it has a wedge on the side opposite the 'to-house plumbing' and a square headed bolt that when turned either tightens or loosens the pitless adapter by pressing against the opposite side of the well casing.

My trouble is getting back in. From what I've read....the spring loaded ones snap into place when you hit the right spot. With this one....can't find any positive feeling to know that I'm in the hole so after I tighten the bolt on the wedge it still leaks. There's a set screw in the outside of the well casing that looks like it marks the direction but I'm pulling my Tee up and down and can't seem to hit the spot.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Respectfully,
Brian

Reach4

Reaction score
From what I've read....the spring loaded ones snap into place when you hit the right spot.
It may be that what you read does not apply to your pitless.

My pitless has a leg tightened by a screw, but the head is not square. There is no snapping. There is no spring. The initial installer marks the casing with the direction to point upon reinstall. The weight is carried by a bar across the top of the casing. The bar stays under the well cap.

Does your pitless have a T-bar that is removed before the well cap is put back?

How about a photo?

Last edited:

BrianSmith

Reaction score
Reach4,

Thanks for the reply...yes, I realize that how the spring loaded ones work does not apply to what I have, I mentioned it for comparison. Do not have a crossbar or tee under the cap. I used a tee bar that I made to screw into the top of the pitless for lifting (...thanks to this website).

I have a picture but can't upload since I am on an Army computer. I have also searched the inter-web and not found a single example of a pitless like the one I have. I removed it and it has no name or markings on it. I'm now trying to re-install into the well casing, left the whole rig dangling at the house.

The pitless is two pieces with the 'spreader wedge' thing safety wired to the main body to prevent it from falling down the well. I had to use a 5 ft curb key to turn the square headed bolt.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
One of these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 9,646

Reach4

Reaction score
Mine works like this... the advantage is that it lets a "4 inch" slimline pump fit down my 4 inch steel casing.

If yours is somewhat similar, I suggest looking down the casing, using a bright light or the sun+mirror. See where the hole in the casing is, and then use that info that to locate the mark that the well person made.

You did not say if you have a support bar that stays in the casing or you have a removable t-bar.

Install.jpg

BrianSmith

Reaction score
So I do not have the support bar, I have the removable tee (that I made). My pitless is EXACTLY like the one in the pic above from craigpump.
I'm guessing the missing piece for me is the "measure distance" guidance in your schematic above (thanks!).

So...is the trick to measure the depth (distance down the casing) in order to set it ?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok,

On the face of the pitless is a small ridge at the bottom of the opening. Measure from the bottom of the hole to the top of the well casing, say 48".

Now, measure from the bottom of that ridge up your T bar and mark your T bar at 48". I use a wrap or two of tape.

Now, look down the casing and see where the hole is, mark the top of the casing with chalk so you know where the hole is.

Then, lower the putless, align it with the hole and tighten the wedge.

Last one I did took about 15 minutes to get it right, so don't get discouraged if you don't get it the first time.

BrianSmith

Reaction score
craigpump,

Thanks again! I will give it a shot when I get out there. Is there any way of knowing when it's right short of turning it on to see if it leaks ?
Also--do you know what kind this is (brand ?) ?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, you have to turn it on and fuss with it. They really are a nightmare. Luckily we have seen only 2 or 3 over the years but keep a tool on the truck just in case.

I believe it's called a Williams pitless.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You only have to replace it once then no one will ever have to deal with it again. Those things are terrible and well worth a half day day to replace.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jets aren't bad as long as they're direct mounted to the well (vertical jet pump bolted to the casing). I doubt you see many of those.

BrianSmith

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help, especially craigpump and reach4, but especially to our hosts for establishing and maintain this site......THANK YOU !
I got the water working again thanks to ya'll and your willingness to help.

Got it into the ballpark with the measuring method craigpump mentioned but still had to fiddle with it until it fit right.

Thanks again and best regards.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Piece of cake

Take an old 1/2" drive 3/4" socket and weld a washer into it to limit the depth of the set bolt head. Then, weld that socket into a piece of galvanized pipe so that the square drive socket sticks out ( I used the pipe we put the wire on so we always have it with us). Drop it down onto the set bolt and back it off with a pipe wrench.

Reactions: KWD
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks