Stay 1 1/2 or transition to 2 for long horizontal tub drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

BruceL

Reaction score
In my bathroom remodel, I have to run a drain from the tub, to shower, to building drain. It's a somewhat long run (maybe 7' tub to shower and about the same shower to building drain) but I have 14" I-joists underneath so there's plenty of room.

I had been thinking I should stay 1 1/2 all the way from tub to shower, but after reading a bit, it seems like increasing to 2" immediately after the tub (use a 2 X 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 wye to vent right at the tub and switch to 2) would actually be better for flow.

I also read a recommendation that the same logic applies for going to 3" after the shower, but the existing shower connects to the building drain with a 2" pipe, and I don't plan on replacing that, so will keep it at 2". Virginia follows IRC so the DFU for a 3 head shower and a tub is 5, which is OK in a 2" horizontal drain (as I understand things).

So, 2" all the way, or is there a reason to stay with 1 1/2?

Thanks,
Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks