Starter cap keeps blowing

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Scott

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg For some reason; I have been in a battle with my well blowing the starter caps. Within 4 months now; This will be the 5th time and I just had a new pump put in about a week ago (take that back,,less than a week). I’m not sure of what kind they went back in with as to they left the old tags hanging from the old one they just came out sideways with. Neither less,,it’s a 1/2 hp with 4 wires,, (the old one) single phase @ 5 to 7 amps,
230v.
Is there anyway I can bypass the starter cap just so I can shower, do laundry and ect,,ohh,,,and one more thing,,I’ve told them that it keeps blowing the fuse on the left. I think I’ve done bought every fuse in this town for this well,,,

Reach4

Reaction score
With a digital multimeter, compare the ohms with what the lid on the control box says.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately, just replacing the capacitor as you have been doing is not solving the problem. A blown capacitor is only a symptom of an underlying problem. Replacing a capacitor is only a temporary fix. It did not solve the problem that caused the capacitor to fail.

You also just replaced the pump. You’re still blowing the capacitor. The problem has not been solved. Looking at your wiring in your pressure switch and control box, I would be suspicious of every bit of wiring you have in this branch circuit, I know that’s not what you want to hear. Was the wire in the well replaced with the pump? Or was it “good enuf”? How old is the wire from the control box to the top of the well?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You really need to know how many amps this pump is drawing. Bad pump cable can cause blown out capacitors. No, you can not bypass the capacitor.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably need to use a meggohmeter and test each current carrying conductor to ground. Unfortunately you have NO electrical ground conductors. Your electrical wiring does NOT meet National Electrical Codes.

Chris Scott

Reaction score
How ironic that you would mention the wiring cause I’ve been looking at it myself and been wanting to redo it. The wiring from the starter cap box has been like that since my ex and I bought this place. Since you mentioned “Ground” I don’t see how I over looked that aspect,,,thank you,,,I’ve been wanting to redo the wiring to it for the simple fact that the well house is fed from the shop which is fed from the breaker box from the house.
Would it be possible to switch two wires (red and black) and kick it on just long enough to shower?

Chris Scott

Reaction score
N
You really need to know how many amps this pump is drawing. Bad pump cable can cause blown out capacitors. No, you can not bypass the capacitor.[/QUOTE

You really need to know how many amps this pump is drawing. Bad pump cable can cause blown out capacitors. No, you can not bypass the capacitor.
The old pump was drawing a tad bit over 9 (the one in the pic) not yet sure what the new pump draws or how big it is. I was not here when they came out sideways

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It looks like you have been replacing the whole box top? If not the start relay could be bad as it would take out a new capacitor after only a few seconds. 9 amps would be a 115V in 1/2HP. 5 amps would be correct for a 230V. Are you sure you have the right voltage box and power to match the voltage of the pump/motor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks