Stacked Washer/Dryer Vent Up to Code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
IMG_2265.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG

I am getting down to brass tacks now with my washer/dryer project. I've decided that maximum space in laundry area will be obtained by furring studs in photo out with 1 x 2"s and recessing dryer vent into stud bay. I will be going with a vertical vent attaching to a DryerJack high efficiency roof cap. Cap would go higher up on roof where white vent pipe exits roof near satellite dish in image 2280. Vent pipe in image 2264 is same white pipe. I am going to build a shelf to keep washer and dryer separate instead of stacking because 1. It will make it easier to work with if either washer or dryer fails and 2. I will be able to make sure vent is attached to dryer correctly before installing washer.

I plan to use maybe a MagVent MV-180 attached to a 90-degree elbow in wall. Elbow would be attached to a periscope vent installed behind drywall (just about where yellow wire is in image 2264) to give enough room to insulate around vent because that is partly an exterior wall. Top of periscope vent would attach to 45 degree fittings (I'm thinking two) and up to DryerJack on roof.

My question is if anyone can tell me if this is feasible as far as being in compliance with municipal codes, or does vent need to be 4" aluminum pipe all the way up?

IMG_2264.JPG

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess I'm not following something what's the santee capped off all about?
something called "the dryer box" looks pretty slick for getting the machine back close to wall. also it looks like a good option when the vent is going up a wall

Thomas K

Reaction score
I guess I'm not following something what's the santee capped off all about?
something called "the dryer box" looks pretty slick for getting the machine back close to wall. also it looks like a good option when the vent is going up a wall

That's where two other guys tried to fashion vent for washer standpipe and made mistakes. I need to cut out that frigging cap mess and install a proper elbow there.

I decided against the periscope vent in wall. I don't think that would pass an inspection anyway. I'm going to have to use something like MagVent 90, have it exposed, and insulate in wall cavity behind it.

Thomas K

Reaction score
OK good luck thought you had a question?

Actually, I think periscope vents in walls will not pass code. I do have one question though. Code stipulates that "Each vertical riser shall be provided with a means for cleanout."

What exactly do they mean? If I am planning to use a DryerJack on the roof, which claims to open up for cleaning, does this satisfy code?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know but vertical dryer vents are installed on new homes and pass inspection all the time here, but generally avoided. I guess that's what your calling a periscope vent? Never heard the name Also on a new home build I never do the dryer vent its HVAC or sheet metal contractor. just little additions/ remodels So I'm, not into those codes

Thomas K

Reaction score
This is a periscope vent. They're thinner and look like they'd be almost impossible to clean with a shop vacuum hose from the roof vent. I'm planning on using a MagVent 90 attached to 4" smooth aluminum pipe going up about 6-6 1/2' to DryerJack on roof. I may have to use a couple of 45 degree fittings to accomplish this. It just says in code that there must be a way to clean pipe, and DryerJack description says opens for cleaning.

Attachments

• periscope.jpg
    periscope.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 130
  • magvent.jpg
    magvent.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 127
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks