Square shower head fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad Borch

Reaction score
So I'm rehabbing a place and it's got an old Symmons Temptrol valve, and this square shower head fitting. How do I remove this?

IMG-0799.jpg

Brad Borch

Reaction score
Yep, I just wasn't using enough elbow grease, didn't want to strip or bust any old copper buried behind perfectly good tile.

But now I've got a copper stub with a male fitting sticking out of the wall. What do I do for the shower head? Does anybody make a suitable replacement?

Brad Borch

Reaction score
I suppose I could cut the pipe as close to the tile as I can get, and use a sharkbite to whatever the pipe size is female adapter? Like this:

697285500860.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I suppose I could cut the pipe as close to the tile as I can get, and use a sharkbite to whatever the pipe size is female adapter?
That is not the job for a Sharkbite. Sharkbites don't have rotary strength.

Better than that, you could thread a brass coupler onto the copper. Put on a big escutcheon to cover the coupler, and thread a regular 1/2 NPT shower arm onto the coupler. I don't know where to find that big escucheon, but the hole is usually 1/2 inch iron pipe size I think.

There may be a better choice, but that is the one that comes to mind right now.

What is on the other side of the wall?

Last edited:

Brad Borch

Reaction score
Yep, I realized that after I posted. What kind of coupler would work? Can I just force a brass fitting onto the copper pipe? Or is there a fitting meant for that? I could use a 1/2" compression fitting to 1/2" female. And Speakman makes a shower arm with an oversized "sure grip flange." There's sheetrock on the other side of the wall, so I can open it up if I have to, but obviously I'd rather not have more sheetrock to patch.

61-KhVZj%2BNL._SL1000_.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
But now I've got a copper stub with a male fitting sticking out of the wall.
I was picturing you having a 1/2 inch MNPT thread on the end.
wp4-08-9.jpg

What kind of coupler would work?
I was thinking you would be screwing a regular brass threaded coupler onto that.
brc050-3.jpg

Is there access to the other side of the wall? It is not a certainty that the copper you are looking at does not have a MNPT thread on the other end. It is probably soldered, but if you can look, look.

Last edited:

Brad Borch

Reaction score
I'll try and add a pic of it. The hole is big enough that I can see what's there; there's an elbow inside the wall, and a stub of 1/2" copper that sticks out of the wall about 4", with the 1/2" MNPT adapter sweated onto the end (exactly like the stub for the tub faucet). I think if I can get an oversize flange, and enlarge the hole a bit with a dremel tool, I can carefully cut it flush with the wall, and get a compression fitting on and it, and hopefully it won't stick out too far to be covered by the flange.

Looks just like this:

Bath-Tub-Shower-Diverter-Valve-Replacement.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That is a tub spout, not a showerhead. Plus it sticks out a lot longer than I thought you were describing. If you are showing that to illustrate the MNPT adapter on the copper pipe, that is what I had pictured.

Brad Borch

Reaction score
I know that's a tub spout, I just put it up as an example. The shower has exactly the same thing (but of course a few feet higher ;-).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks