Temptrol advice

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing both of my 30 year old Temptrol shower valves while doing some other work, and was wondering about the "service" ports. My existing shower valves have them and I've never used them because I'm afraid they might leak if I twiddle with them, so I always turn off the house water when servicing the valves.

Other than not having to shut down the whole house to service, there is no advantage to having the service ports in a private home, correct?

Also, the only difference between the various valves is the fitting you get if you order the valve kit by pipe type - in other words the valve body is the same but they ship it with the adapters for PEX, or copper, etc. that I would thread on the valve. Correct?

John

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Integral stops help keep the house running if you ever have any problem with the shower valve. I never consider not having integral stops. Yes, valves generally are the same. stops don't ever tend to leak in my lifetime of experience.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I have a choice I would prefer isolation ball valves for the shower water lines vs integral stops.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks