sprinkler valves problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

capobeach

Reaction score
sprinkler valves problem: bad diaphragm

I have a problem with my sprinkler valves (orbit). These have been installed a few years back and worked fine. Now, the irrigation system starts early in the morning so I cannot tell when the problem really started.

We extended one irrigation line and added an additional sprinkler head and removed one to compensate. Now, when turning on that particular station/valve manually or electronically, I hear the water flowing, but no water is coming out from the sprinklers.

To make this particular line work, I need to turn on one of the other two lines simultaneously with the one that doesn't(the one that doesn't work and one that works). This trick works with either combination of the 'working' lines with the one that doesn't work if turned on individually.

Once I tricked the system, the water is coming out all right from the line that causes problems. However, the next time I want to activate it again, I have to use the same trick again.

I am wondering if I have to take the valve apart or if the sprinkler line is too long. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even if you have too many sprinklers on that zone you should get some water. I would hazard a wild guess that you forgot to glue a pipe in the extension. Let the zone run for awhile and then look for a wet spot. Unless the pipe is super deep, it should show on the surface fairly quickly. If water is running, it has to be going somewhere.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your symtoms are unusual. If these are anti-siphon valves, try removing the cap from the antisiphon side of the valve, then turn on the valve. Do you have water flowing out there?

Check your water pressure. Is it either too high or too low??

capobeach

Reaction score
Even if you have too many sprinklers on that zone you should get some water. I would hazard a wild guess that you forgot to glue a pipe in the extension. Let the zone run for awhile and then look for a wet spot. Unless the pipe is super deep, it should show on the surface fairly quickly. If water is running, it has to be going somewhere.

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, the sprinklers work all right if I turn on the non-working station together with a working valve (off and on). No leaks anywhere.

capobeach

Reaction score
Your symtoms are unusual. If these are anti-siphon valves, try removing the cap from the antisiphon side of the valve, then turn on the valve. Do you have water flowing out there?

Check your water pressure. Is it either too high or too low??

Hello Jimbo! And Thank you!!
I did disassemble the flow control part and found that the Diaphragm Assembly piece was bent and one of the gaskets was not tight. I did adjust the gasket and re-assemble the flow control part and - it works! I will have to call Orbit to send me replacement parts as I am not sure for how long the diaphragm assembly will hold up.

below a parts list for people who have the same problem but don't know what I am talking about:

http://www.orbitirrigation.com/lib/media/57623-24rB_001855.pdf

Thanks for leading me to the solution :eek:)

PS: The running water I did hear when turning on seems to be slow running water that did not suffice to make the sprinklers work.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks