space between drain entries into single stack vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Mindy K

Reaction score
Afternoon! I'm looking for opinions on what can feed into a stack vent we have. We tore into a small bathroom today that needs repair due to floor damage. Took up the sub floor to reveal the plumbing, and walls are gutted. I know that this room was added to the house during an addition done in 2002, but am not sure if the previous homeowner did the work or a plumber.

We found that the sink drain goes directly down through the floor and into the large 3" sewer drain that goes out of the room to the main sewer exit under the house, and has no vent. Since the sink isn't vented, we want to add a p trap drain that connects through the wall into to the stack vent that is going up through the wall behind where the sink will go. This vent currently goes straight up into the attic and just ends. We are going to take this through the roof to vent outside of the house. From what I understand, hooking into this vent pipe will properly vent the sink.

Where I am looking for guidance is regarding the washing machine drain that is currently hooked into this stack vent. The Washing machine is located on the other side of the wall, directly behind where the sink goes in this bathroom. My question is - is it ok to hook both a sink drain and leave the washing machine drain into the same length of stack vent? Or should we run a new stack vent from the sink up the wall to hook into the main existing stack vent in the attic? If we do have both piped into the same vent, do we need to have them a certain lenth apart? I guess I'm wondering what would happen if the washing machine is draining and someone uses the sink in the bathroom at the same time. Would it cause an issue with drainage on either end.

Our setup:

Bathtub ----> toilet ----> stack vent (runs up the wall into the attic) ----> sink drain (not vented) ----> Line goes to main sewer line out of the house.

The length of 3" pipe that runs from the bathtub to where the sink drain is is 5.5 feet long.

I tried to attach a photo of our setup but keep getting a message that it's too big even though it's only 234 kb.

Thanks much for any comments in advance!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Often it is just as helpful to make a simple drawing. Generally speaking, multiple fixtures can share a vent, as long as it truely is a vent with no drainage coming from any higher fixture. The vent connections must be made at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture connected, or 42" above the floor, whichever is higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks