Sound deadening and insulating combination boiler with butyl sound deadening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Burningquestions

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had installed a combination boiler installed in an unfinished basement and the noise is very noticeable especially a high pitched noise the floor above. I already put rockwool safe and sound in the ceiling. I notice the majority of the noise is from the fan it seems like a vacuum noise where to cold air intake is. Would it be safe to wrap the pipe in insulation or pipe wrap to try to reduce noise? More directly if like to apply butyl sound deadening to the face of the metal combination boiler. I tried contacting the manufacturer if there were any or possibly warranty being voided but by phone first hung up on then endless ringing. Emailed them and no answer. Checked the temperature with a Flir and it was 35 degrees C on the hot air exhaust. The face of the boilers shell doesn't get that hot and we'll below the butyl sound deadening temperature limits. I applied it once to a noisy power vent unit and it worked beautifully.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Have been involved with sound engineers and compressor noise it's a science. Try hanging dry wall above just below the insulation two layers because it's dense. Something like this on both air in and exhaust out a few feet.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have been involved with sound engineers and compressor noise it's a science. Try hanging dry wall above just below the insulation two layers because it's dense. Something like this on both air in and exhaust out a few feet.
Different pitches of noises are cancelled by different densities of materials. So layering some drywall with a rubber layer can cancel more wave lengths. There are special sheetrocks designed for noise cancelling too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks