Solar Well Pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rod McKnight

Reaction score
I am just curious if anyone is using a solar well pump and if so, any advice on suppliers and pros/cons? I currently have a 160ft deep well approximately 1500 ft from my property that is supplying water to a cistern which in turn supplies the house. The reason I am considering going the DC solar pump route is because of the electric cost. My monthly electric bill for this pump is around $54.00 with only 4$ for actual electric use and the other $50 for a damn meter fee. Yearly meter fee is $648 for $48 of actual electric use. To make matters worse, they are considering raising the fee another six dollars forcing me to think of alternatives especially since I plan on being in this house for another twenty years or so. One of my concerns with going solar is maintenance and reliability. If I decide to go this route not sure if in the long run it would be worth it.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you add lorentz and/or SQFlex to some searches, including ones using the search box above. Not much discussion lately.

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rod not sure in your set up if this will work or be cost effective but a buddy of mine his well is probably more than 1500 feet from his home. They do have livestock so there water use is high certain times of the year. They had always had another meter down at the well as the main power line runs up the road not far from the well. There pump and pressure tank is down at the well site. I think his monthly meter charge had gotten to $70.00 dollars a month so he put in a sub panel out in his yard were the power for his house and buildings come in from the road and rented a trencher and trenched a power line down to the well and had the meter taken out he to will never be moving and probably one of his kids will be there when he's gone. He figured at well over $800.00 a year in meter cost it would take to many years to pay for the wire. I haven't used a solar pump in my pastures yet we are still using windmills and ponds but west of me the windmills are coming down and the solar pumps are going in. They must be lasting for these ranchers to be getting rid of there windmills.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks