Softener and Equipment Help

Users who are viewing this thread

redhot

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for assistance with the attached water test. Trying to determine what equipment to buy.

Thanks
-Mark

Attachments

• 706341.pdf
    100.5 KB · Views: 194

Reach4

Reaction score
Test highlights:
Hardness: 23.8 grains/gallon
iron: 1.65 mg/L
manganese: 0.783 mg/L
pH: 7.2
Arsenic: 0.003 mg/L (low enough)

How many people?
Do you have a sulfur smell on cold water? Hot water?
What size are your water pipes to the water heater?

redhot

Reaction score
Test highlights:
Hardness: 23.8 grains/gallon
iron: 1.65 mg/L
manganese: 0.783 mg/L
pH: 7.2
Arsenic: 0.003 mg/L (low enough)

How many people? 2 Adults 1 Baby
Do you have a sulfur smell on cold water? Hot water? Checking on this
What size are your water pipes to the water heater? 3/4 inch

Reach4

Reaction score
There are two major ways to go.

The best is to use a backwashing iron plus other things filter, followed by a softener. This costs around twice as much, but it will save work. It will have some additional benefit of removing sulfur odor and even arsenic (although your levels are not up to worry levels anyway).

The other way is to put in a softener to handle softening and iron, with the understanding that there will be extra considerations and cleaning. The softener would be set up as if you had about 34 grain hardness to compensate for iron and Mn. If you do this, I suggest leaving room for the iron filter.

The softener would have about 2 or 2.5 cubic ft of resin give or take. That would be a nominal 64000 or 80000 grain, which you would set up to save some salt by using less than that marketing number.

The softener controller can be the Fleck 5600SXT, or it could be the Fleck 5800, which may be a little bleeding edge. TBD. There are other choices too.

Some will say the 5600SXT does not have enough backwashing ability, but even a 3 cubic ft softener usually uses a 5 GPM backwash.

redhot

Reaction score
Backwashing iron plus other things filter followed by softener is the way I would like to go. I don't think I can get the 5800 heads online, also I've seen some pots about Katalox Light for the FE but am not familiar with how much would be needed etc. Any suggestions for supplier/installers in the North West corner of IL?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Fleck, similar to Clack, have decided to no longer sell their new valve models to online dealers, due to lack of proper and knowledgeable support from too many of those online dealers. While the various types of 5600 models remain easily attainable online, the sales literature specifies that valve is appropriate for 10" (1.5 cuft) filter tanks, or 12" (2.0 cuft) softener tanks.

While I repeatedly see claims the 5600 will support 7 gpm backwash rate and therefore can be used on larger diameter tanks, a thorough review of the product literature clearly indicates the backwash rate specified, is 'Valve Alone' while incurring a 25 psi pressure drop. As such, there is no estimation provided for flow restriction through the riser tube, bottom distributor, gravel under-bed , the media itself or an upper screen.

As there are so many variables, Fleck has not estimated these flow restrictions but instead, state the largest tank size they are assured that valve will support, regardless of the media, water temperature and configuration utilized.

http://www.flecksystems.com/pdf/5600SXT-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Reach4

Reaction score
While I repeatedly see claims the 5600 will support 7 gpm backwash rate and therefore can be used on larger diameter tanks,
A 14 inch softener normally gets a 5 GPM backwash, and a 12" x 52" 2.00 cu. ft. 13 inch gets 4 GPM. A 2.5 cuft softener is usually a 12 inch tank (12" x 52"), which gets 3.5 GPM backwash.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
A 14 inch softener normally gets a 5 GPM backwash, and a 12" x 52" 2.00 cu. ft. 13 inch gets 4 GPM. A 2.5 cuft softener is usually a 12 inch tank (12" x 52"), which gets 3.5 GPM backwash.
What???
You clearly didn't read the entire post before replying.

Many posters to this forum come here to request knowledgeable water treatment advice from people who know what they are talking about.

If a poster is considering using equipment defined by the equipment's manufacturer as inappropriate for his/her application, it is then incumbent on those providing advice to point-out the manufacturer's recommendations. If the poster proceeds to utilize that equipment anyway, they do so at their own risk since IF there are resulting issues, the manufacturer might not provide assistance and support.

Reach4

Reaction score
What???
You clearly didn't read the entire post before replying.
You knew it is a case where I disagree with your beliefs. I simply stated facts, and you feigned shock. You have posted that same thing, what 6 times? You will probably do it another 6, but don't do that "didn't read" bit. That is disingenuous.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I have used the 5600 on 16x65 softener tanks in th past, they work fine but they certainly are not recommended. As long as you keep the backwash rates 7 or below the 5600 does an ok job. It is not the first choice for anything beyond basic residential applications but I have seen it used in many applications that completely exceed its design parameters for over 25 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks