Soap Suds From Bathtub Overflow New Plumbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

zach90z

Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to figure out what I did wrong and why soap foaming out of my over flow.

Bathtub Drain: 1.5in
P-trap: 1.5in
Code: 2015 Michigan Residential Code

Here are some pictures:

First Attempt:

Had the same issue here and a few mistakes so ended up redoing it,

20190627_095143.jpg 20190627_095156.jpg 20190627_095328.jpg

Second Attempt:

20200331_080832.jpg 20200331_080845.jpg 20200331_080851.jpg 20200331_080908.jpg 20200331_080938.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What were the first issues that required a change? Did you have the suds problem with the first configuration? Is the vent after the trap shown in picture 7? Does the drain flow like a normal tub? Usually somewhat slow.

zach90z

Reaction score
What were the first issues that required a change?
- I went from 1.5in drain to 2in P-trap.
- Wye fitting for vent was on its side.

Did you have the suds problem with the first configuration?
- I did have the suds problem with that first setup.

Is the vent after the trap shown in picture 7?
- Not sure which is picture 7 for you but yes the vent is more than 2x the diameter from the p-trap.

Does the drain flow like a normal tub?
- No issues with draining. Water does not puddle when using shower head.

Little back info, the house was all cast iron I have since replaced everything. The tub was converted to PVC and connected to the cast iron and ran diagonally underneath the joists. It didn't have a vent and I didn't have an issue with soap suds from overflow.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to figure out what I did wrong and why soap foaming out of my over flow.
When does the soap foam happen? When you do laundry, when the grinder pump runs, when you take a bath, or what?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
This is a wild ass guest and definitely weird. I would replace the trap with a 1.5” one including the trap arm. Code for a tub drain is that it must drain into a 2” drain, not a 2” trap.
As the water pours into the much wider pipe, the water draining from above is hitting the “pool” of water, not flowing smoothly. Like pouring beer from a pitcher into a glass. To reduce the beer head, you want it to flow along the side if the glass for less turbulence. Does this make sense?

zach90z

Reaction score
This is a wild ass guest and definitely weird. I would replace the trap with a 1.5” one including the trap arm. Code for a tub drain is that it must drain into a 2” drain, not a 2” trap.
As the water pours into the much wider pipe, the water draining from above is hitting the “pool” of water, not flowing smoothly. Like pouring beer from a pitcher into a glass. To reduce the beer head, you want it to flow along the side if the glass for less turbulence. Does this make sense?

The tub waste is 1.5in.

I attached a picture but currently it is 1.5in tub waste to 1.5in p-trap. Then 1.5in to the 1.5in long sweep 90 which feeds into a 1.5in 45 and then into a 2 x 2 x 1.5 wye. From their it is 2in to the 3in main.

Yes, but it also speaks to how well your softener is working.

I don't have a water softener setup at the moment.

Attachments

• Info_20200331_080832.jpg
    Info_20200331_080832.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 464

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
From the pictures it does appears to be a larger trap, but seeing the slip nut on the trap, 2" traps do not have them.

The old tub drain, was it brass with a trip lever using a stopper or lift bucket and it is named in this picture? The stopper, though they are hollow, may have broken up the bubbles as it went up the overflow tube.

uRy6g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
If you have the old piece, just place the stopper and lever inside the PVC overflow, if it fits, just to see if it stops the sudzing.

zach90z

Reaction score
That was what the tub had when i purchased the house a few years ago. Would have to buy a new assembly to test that out.

zach90z

Reaction score
So I did a bit of experimenting and I believe it might be due to the trap height and the turbulence from the faucet.

Amanda Sheri

Reaction score
So I did a bit of experimenting and I believe it might be due to the trap height and the turbulence from the faucet.
Did you ever figure it out? I’m actually having the same issue right now. And the same thing happens our sink drains in the same bathroom.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Amanda... did this just start? Any changes with plumbing recently? Change of soaps? Do you have a water softener? The above apparently was caused by turbulence because the water drop too far down to the p trap making suds.

zach90z

Reaction score
Yes the issue has to do with trap distance from drain. The turbulence causes soap suds to bubble out from the overflow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks