Users who are viewing this thread

jlm112790

Reaction score
Hello, we recently spent a year remodeling a home built in 99. We didn’t really use any of the plumbing fixtures prior to moving in but after moving in and starting to use some of the plumbing fixtures, we noticed there soap suds coming out of both a downstairs half bath sink and the upstairs bathtub. We thought it was an issue with the Ikea sink design (I know not ideal) or soap choice but with the bathtub in a separate bathroom doing the same thing, there seems to be a bigger issue. Could a vent issue be causing this? Their placement of one above the other would lead me to believe it is the same vent stack. TIA

jlm112790

Reaction score
Picture of both drains. Both are draining well.
43627345-855D-49E6-B037-A0FE2E4D0ED9.jpeg

C89DB2CC-BF8D-4874-979C-6D1A95B2E5AE.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
tub trap arm should be re plumbed , I dont think its related to the sudsing

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be sudsing. If a suds producing fixture is dropping down a stack and that stack turns horizontal close to where the suds affected fixtures are tied into that drain.

The easiest fix is to use soaps / detergents that are low sudsing.

Reach4

Reaction score
When does the sudsing occur-- when you do laundry?

Is that the washing machine coming in from the lower right on your second picture? That 90 degree bend should have been long sweep, although I don't think that is your issue. Or is that a lavatory drain coming in from the lower right.

If the sudsing occurs while/after running the washing machine, make sure you are using low-sudsing detergent and maybe use less detergent.

I am guessing you have a water softener. With a water softener, you need less soap.

Your tub is not vented properly, even if that is a lavatory coming in from the lower right. The trap arm should have stayed horizontal until joining the wet vent. If that is a laundry standpipe coming in, that is even worse.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im assuming a wash machine is upstairs? was the entire home re plumbed again looking at the trap arm its improperly offset and a red flag of improper plumbing

jlm112790

Reaction score
When does the sudsing occur-- when you do laundry?

Is that the washing machine coming in from the lower right on your second picture? That 90 degree bend should have been long sweep, although I don't think that is your issue. Or is that a lavatory drain coming in from the lower right.

If the sudsing occurs while/after running the washing machine, make sure you are using low-sudsing detergent and maybe use less detergent.

I am guessing you have a water softener. With a water softener, you need less soap.

Your tub is not vented properly, even if that is a lavatory coming in from the lower right. The trap arm should have stayed horizontal until joining the wet vent. If that is a laundry standpipe coming in, that is even worse.
No washing machine involved. Coming in from the lower right is the bathroom sink. Both the downstairs sink has soap suds that will spill out the overflow drain when using and the upstairs bathtub will have suds spill out the overflow drain when using. Picture attached. This is a mild case of it and we have tried different soaps. With occurrences happening two on separate floors I thought it would be more than just one trap plumbed incorrectly. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks
6C2547A3-8972-4788-9233-E2377B8EEED9.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
too little info to guess . tell the story completely , its the first time you used a sink , a busted bottle of laundry soap emptied into the sink , something like that happened but there is no generic answer to your problem just going to have think your way through it its almost impoossible for this to happen when no water or soap is used

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks