Snifter or schrader?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Daniel08, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Do you have a decent air compressor? A "250 psi" tire inflator is not decent.

I think a compressor for this purpose should be oil-less / oil-free. A decent compressor will have a cfm or scfm rating. I don't think it has to be a high number, but a psi-only rating is not useful IMO. I intend to message you with ideas along that line. I am not a pro.

2. Daniel08

Daniel08 New Member

Yeah, my comressor should be fine

3. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Bladder tanks don't last long when the pump is cycling every minute or two. The pump cycling on and off makes the bladder (diaphragm) go up and down until it breaks like bending a piece of wire back and forth. When the diaphragm breaks, it is the same as you have now with no air in the tank, and the pump will cycle on/off every 10 seconds or so for a short while, then the pump will be destroyed. I do think having a hydro tank at a dead end like that keeps the air charge from going out as quickly. But there is no way to charge it with air automatically as Boyce described when the tank is at the dead end. You just have to add air on a regular basis with a compressor. If you can keep air in the tank and the pump running for more than one minute and off for more than one minute while using water, it will make your pump last longer.

4. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Boyce, you forgot to mention the third and I believe the best way this could be done, which is to replace the hydro tank with a bladder tank using a CSV. Here are pics from a review where someone replaced a 60 gallon size tank with the PK1A and a 4.5 gallon tank.

WX251 before.jpeg
    WX251 replaced with PK1A.jpeg

Tell us about your experience
    Because of space limitations cannot get the installation in one photo. Also sending a photo of the old 20-40 system I replaced and good riddance to it. This is working out very well with greatly increased water flow and have now said goodbye to the screaming valve balancing shower valves. Installed the filter with a bypass for watering and car washing etc. Mainly because of the many filter reviews mentioning the failure of these built in controls on the filter itself. Really satisfied with the end result using the Cycle Stop Valve Pside-Kick system.
    Thanks Guys,
    Doug Ballard

5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    Oh please... when I was a child, it was my job to go into the crawlspace with a bicycle pump to air up the HP tank. The crawlspace was so low there was not enough height to use the bicycle pump vertically so I had to use it horizontally.

6. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

Valveman

yes I would have preferred a Cycle Stop Valve in this application. And I discussed it with the customer. He specifically wanted a VFD. He has numerous vfd’s on his farm and onion packing warehouse.

7. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Thanks for trying! Nothing you can do but sell them what they want when they won't listen to reason. If he had tried a Cycle Stop Valve on this little well he would have seen how well they work. Then he would have known to replace all his other VFD's with CSV's and have much more dependable pump systems at a much lower cost. Did you give him cost comparisons between the big pressure tank, VFD. and CSV systems, and could you share those with us?