Gas Furnace clicking noise while running

Users who are viewing this thread

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
Recently moved into this house so I don't have a history with this furnace as yet. With Fall coming on noticed this clicking noise while furnace is running (see attached vid).

Took the lower cover off and, using a mechanic's stethoscope, I noticed it's coming from black solenoid looking thing on right front of gas valve. Furnace seems to function just fine.

Everything I googled on this says igniter is running, but I watched and listened to igniter operate when furnace first starts up; doesn't sound like the same noise and don't see any sparking around the igniter when the noise is happening. Sometimes it makes the noise, and sometimes it doesn't. Definitely not normal as I can hear it on other side of the house.

Anyone have ideas on what this could be? TIA!

Seems to be coming from black solenoid looking thing on right front of gas valve; see below:

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Sound normal, if you are hearing what I suspect you are hearing. Things moving due to thermal expansion and contraction.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Gas valve sound like its dropping out then powering back up. What's is the complete model of rheem furnace and brand and model of gas valve?

Gdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

Rheem Criterion II Plus 2
RGLK-07EAMER
FQ5D302F230402740
MFD DATE: 06/2004

Gas Valve:
36E55 221
#60-23490-12

Fitter30

Reaction score

Gdog

Reaction score
Thanks Fitter30! yeah already did clean the flame sensor (forgot to mention it) so guess I'll try replacing it.

Gdog

Reaction score
FYI installed new flame sensor and, while it does seem improved, furnace still makes that noise while running, but it's less frequent.

Got two new sensors, was thinking of trying the other new one..?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Better to check the flame sensor you want to know the reading if it reads good and youve tried 2 then no dont put a third in, if the first 2 check bad then yes replace. but you get an exact reading with a 10 dollar voltage tester and Ive found it to be handy in general around the house not the greatest but its very handy to have no person that DIY should be without a multi tester.

Gdog

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was better but not really; sometimes it acts up, and sometime not so much.

I did verify it has a good ground to neutral w/ohm meter.

@Jeff H Young When you say check the reading, I assume you mean the current in the flame sensor? Will try that next chance I get. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks