Small curbless shower into a basement slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Scouper

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to put a small bathroom in basement on slab, and include a shower. I feel like with tight space, (low ceiling too) nice to have curbless shower (planning on curtain). If I put a linear drain across the opening of the shower (where a curb traditionally is) will I have issues with water in the rest of the bathroom floor? I'd rather build my slope up above the slab and down to the existing slab grade, and linear drain, rather than having to cut dig out a whole section 30x34 section of slab to slope down to a drain (either center drain or linear). Thanks for any thoughts on this idea. Drawing shows grey bar as linear drain. Arrow for slope.
Cheers,
scouper

bathroom edit.jpg

Smythers

Reaction score
Without knowing what kind of flooring you're going with, I've got 2 ideas:

#1. How about turning that entire floor into a wet area? Have your traditional drain or put in a linear drain and slope the floor on to the shower drain.

#2. How about a slightly raised piece at the shower threshold? Something like this marble threshold

http://www.laminate-flooring-instal...allways_transition_up_to_marble_threshold.jpg

Something like that would give you the ability to keep the water where you want it, establish a sort of visual shower area demarcation, and give you more space than if you would have added a curb.

Just some thoughts.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That should work, but I'd augment it with something like this on the outside:
showerprofilews_wsl.jpg

Note that you need to be especially careful about what drain cover you get for your linear drain...on some, there's a path straight across the grate from one side to the other. Other designs have the notches offset, so it's much less likely for the water to flow across it. The least expensive linear drain cover is one you tile...that has a gap that is 100% of the way, all around.

Reaction score
Don't you need to have an inspection where you plug the drain and test up to the curb line? The inspector may not like the configuration you are asking about, probably should check with them first.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It can get messy when you are building a curbless shower...there isn't much to actually 'fill' since there is no curb. If you were building an ADA shower (size, access, types of fixtures), those rules overshadow some of the conventional requirements. BUt a curbless shower for your convenience or style that doesn't meet ADA standards can take some discussions with the local inspector to get approved. SOme ask you to build a temporary curb, some don't. Often, they want a minimum of a 2" drop to the drain, and that takes a 4' wide area with a linear drain, or a significantly larger area if your drain is centered. You can gain some of that with a hump, that you could still roll or walk over easily, but that would limit the size of the tile you could use to conform.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks