Sluggish drain on new sink rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott_

Reaction score
I have just completed a rough-in for a double vanity. I hooked up a single vanity to one side to test it and it drains, but it's a little sluggish. If I let the water run for a couple of minutes the sink fills up and it'll take a minute or two to empty. The drain and vent pipes are both 1 1/2". Here's a picture of the set up (the other side of the set up has a plug in it

DSCN0126.jpg

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong and why it drains slow?

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I cannot tell why it drains slow from your photo. In fact it should drain extra fast because you have created two "S" traps which always drain faster because they do not have vents. More likely you have "vessel sinks" without overflows and they almost ALWAYS drain the way you describe.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong and why it drains slow

I would guess because you used the wrong fittings. A and B should be Sanitary-tees not Combos.

Attachments

• DSCN0126.jpg
    DSCN0126.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 558
  • ar136173105515698.jpg
    ar136173105515698.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Switch out A and B with santee's to prevent siphoning.
And if you have a vessel sink without the overflow, you will need a special drain for it. Grid drains don't work and typical pop-ups don't work on those.
HJ mentioned that above too.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Here a photo that Terry had posted.

Attachments

• single_to_double_lav.jpg
    single_to_double_lav.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 615

Scott_

Reaction score
HJ, Hammerlane, Terry... Thank you for your quick response and excellent guidance. I used Terry's diagram (with santee's) when I did the original rough-in but I had someone who I thought knew plumbing review it before cementing everything together and he told me that the santee's should be replaced with the combos so I changed them out. Hammerlane, your diagram was really helpful explaining why the combos won't work. I also wanted to mention that the vanity I was using to test the setup has a vessel sink. The double vanity that will be used for the final install doesn't have vessel sinks, so not worried about needing a special drain, but just wanted to say I was impressed you guys knew the sink that was in place on the vanity for the test was a vessel. You guys are the best... Thank you again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks