Sink vs Bath Tub valve question.

Users who are viewing this thread

plantlady

Reaction score
H!

My husband and I found a wall mount faucet that we really love, but it made for a lavatory and not made for a bath tub. Price Pfister T49-DF1C Kenzo Collection Two Handle Wall Mount Lavatory Bathroom Faucet. We would like to mount thison the wall over a Whirlpool tub.. my question is can we use the sink faucet set and then use a bath tub valve? or is that even possible? Orwoud you suggest something else that may work. (we cant use a deck mount as this is abath remodel in an older home witha very narrow area to work with and tub has alrady been purchased.)

Thanks for the help.

plantlady

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You may be able to mount it, but the flow rate on a lav. faucet is much less then a tub faucet. At 2.5 gal. a minute it would take some time to fill a whirlpool tub.

John

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea like the hot water pouring in might turn cold before the tub fills...
Or, damn close to it...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you were thinking of using a tub rough-in valve with those handles, you'd likely be disappointed. Plus, as noted, the flow rate would be abysmal for a tub. Some people even get annoyed filling a tub with a typical 1/2" valve designed for it, and opt to upgrade the valve to a 3/4" or even larger. A lav faucet usually has 3/8" or even smaller supply lines and internal passages; you really want at least a full 1/2" or larger, depending on the volume of the tub and your patience.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do NOT have to mount a deck faucet above the drain. Can you make the front edge wider so a faucet could be mounted there? You would have a much better installation if you used the matching deck mounted faucets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks