Sink Drain - Can't Remove Connection from Stub Out

Users who are viewing this thread

water_tight

Reaction score
So I'm replacing an old 1.5 sink drain pipe that's become brittle. My problem is that I can't unscrew the nut from the stub out in the wall. I only have about 2 inches to work with so it seems like cutting it off would just cause more problems. It is stuck real tight, I've tried penetrating oil and lime remover. Any suggestions?

2V7yBfk.jpg

wVuy7O4.jpg

3v9c1ap.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try my 10-inch curved-jaw locking pliers. Rotate toward the movable jaw.
milwaukee-locking-pliers-48-22-3410-64_400_compressed.jpg

water_tight

Reaction score
I would try my 10-inch curved-jaw locking pliers. Rotate toward the movable jaw.

I should add there's not much room to work with to get a long wrench in there. I can try the vice grips but I don't know how much a 10" is going to wrap around that nut

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Try using a rotary tool (e.g., Dremel) with an abrasive cut-off wheel to score a line through the nut (parallel with the pipe) - don't cut into the threads of the stub out. You can then try prying in the scored line with a screw driver and that will likely crack the nut at the scored line, making it (hopefully) easier to spin off.

water_tight

Reaction score
Try using a rotary tool (e.g., Dremel) with an abrasive cut-off wheel to score a line through the nut (parallel with the pipe) - don't cut into the threads of the stub out. You can then try prying in the scored line with a screw driver and that will likely crack the nut at the scored line, making it (hopefully) easier to spin off.
That is a fantastic idea, will pull out the dremel tonight - you get a gold star.

Reach4

Reaction score
I took my 10 inch Milwaukee curved-jaw locking pliers and tried some similar diameters, and it would be close. Those worked well on 1.5 inch galvanized for me, and that may be a similar diameter to that nut. I am not sure.

Some 12 inch or bigger Tongue and Groove Pliers with a jaw as pictured may be better for the large diameter.
crescent-plier-sets-rt400sgset2-c3_145.jpg

That dremel thing sounds cool.

I have no clue if this is good quality, but it could be useful. https://www.sciplus.com/extra-large-locking-pliers-63862-p I have not had good luck with pipe wrenches. I had thought mine were good, but probably they are not.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
second the cut off wheel in the dremel.. don't mess up the threads.. but if you do mess them up on the top.

water_tight

Reaction score
So just to follow up, mission accomplished. The Dremmel did the job, cut the nut and pried it off with a screw driver. One thing to note, not hitting the stub threads is easier said than done. You know you hit the stub when sparks start flying everywhere. Unfortunately I went through part of the threads so I couldn't use a regular replacement nut. I went with a waste connector (aka Marvel fitting) and some PTFE and was able to get a nice water tight seal.

Getting the old drain pipe out of the stub was also not easy, it was rusted into the stub and I basically had to slice it down the middle and pry it out piecemeal with pliers

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Good job! It takes a skilled and steady hand to keep that blade from digging in or flying off. Before rotary we used to do that with a hacksaw.. downhill both ways... in the snow!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks