Simple question about sill sealing a pipe combing up through concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Sam R

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a total DIY novice, but trying to learn. I received a lot of help here previously with this project and wanted to ask a simple question:

I had a professional jackhammer up a ~1 foot x 1 foot area of concrete slab in my basement and replace a leaking galvanized drain pipe (now ABS) and a floor drain that was attached, as well. They did a great job, but I now need to backfill the floor around the floor drain and ABS pipe and pour some concrete. Several threads (including here) mention wrapping sill-seal around the pipe first, before pouring concrete.

My question is, do I have the sill seal extending above and below the pour level? And how thick...like 4-5 wraps around the pipe and floor drain? And then do I remove it afterwards (leaving a gap) or do I permanently have some pretty pink sill seal sticking out (this would be totally fine - not a cosmetic area of the house and its over back behind a boiler). Will this lead to a gap around the floor drain that I don't want?

Sorry, I know this is a dumb question but I could not find the proper way to wrap sill seal around the pipe and/or drain anywhere on the internet - probably because it is obvious to the pros :)

Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use actual expansion foam for concrete. It comes in different widths. Get thr 4" width (or whatever thickness your concrete is) and do one neat wrap around the pipe. Pour the concrete. Then the expansion foam has a perforated top that pulls off. Leaving you a nice gap to caulk with np1

Sam R

Reaction score
Wonderful, thank you so much! Do you usually wrap the associated floor drain too? Or is it better to leave that flush with the concrete after it is poured (no gap) for drainage purposes?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wonderful, thank you so much! Do you usually wrap the associated floor drain too? Or is it better to leave that flush with the concrete after it is poured (no gap) for drainage purposes?
My opinion would be the same as above.

Sam R

Reaction score
Cool, I'll give it a shot! Thank you so much for taking the time to help - very kind of you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks