q

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have Stainless putty on the truck. For drains, often the leak is from the threads as it passes through the rubber seal at the bottom of the sink. I like to coat those threads with either putty or thread sealant to prevent that.

sta_put_ultra.jpg

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
It took me one install to realize that cranking the rubber washer up was never going to make it. Generous glob of clear GE silicone has always worked for me. I let it dry overnight and it does peel off if you're careful.

Attachments

• silicone.JPG
    silicone.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 193

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
tub-drain-leak-04.jpg

I use putty on the drain, but none on the threads for a tub. With acrylic I use the stainless putty, but you can also use Silicone.
The rubber gasket between the tub and drain below clamps and should make the seal. How smooth is the bottom of the tub? Sometimes that's a problem.

I treat tub drains and lav drains differently.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks