Showerhead setting creates knocking

Users who are viewing this thread

Harrisonnate

Reaction score
I have a puzzle I can’t solve and am hoping not to cut into the wall, if possible. My shower has a handheld shower head with a hose and different flow settings, as they do. If I don’t turn the shower on for 10 to 12 hours I can turn it on to one particular flow setting and water flows just fine. But as soon as I change the flow setting on the showerhead, a knocking sound begins and water fizzles out to a stop. The bizarre thing is, even if I try to then turn it back to the original setting the knocking continues and there’s no water. I have to let it sit for the rest of the day before I can get water to flow freely again from that original setting. I’ve replaced the handheld shower head already hoping it was an easy fix, but no luck.

Thank you!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What brand/model/style is the shower control? Some showers have a pressure balancing "spool" that might be getting stuck that may prevent the flow of water.

How does the handheld hose connect? Could it be getting kinked?

Is there a vacuum breaker on the outlet? A vacuum breaker may be getting stuck (least likely)

Harrisonnate

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! What I failed to notice or mention was the little adapter between the hose and the wall outlet, which I assume is a flow restrictor. As soon as I removed it the issue went away, so it must have been faulty. Appreciate the help!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! What I failed to notice or mention was the little adapter between the hose and the wall outlet, which I assume is a flow restrictor. As soon as I removed it the issue went away, so it must have been faulty. Appreciate the help!
That adapter is the check valve that prevents the possibility of dirty water being sucked back into your drinking water if the hose is left on the floor.

Neil Binda

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes it even voids the warranty if it's not installed due to water consumption laws

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks