Showerhead flow restrictor mayhem

Users who are viewing this thread

SailorMan

Reaction score
I have been trying to convert my single showerhead to include a 3-way diverter to accommodate a handheld showerhead. Here's what I have observed:

There are many "3-way water diverters" available for anywhere from $15 to about $50 and up to divert water to one or both showerheads. But due to the "Federal Energy Policy Act of 1992" they all have restrictors choking off the water flow through a tiny hole that's about 3/16" in diameter. The problem with this is that the showerheads all have their own flow limiters so when this additional restriction is added it just creates much more turbulence further reducing the actual flow of water out the showerhead. To me this seems to go beyond the original intent of the law.

The drop in pressure is definitely noticeable when using the shower.

Does anyone know of a way around this problem? I'm thinking that the only realistic way around it is to use a tee with two ball valves (There are "manifolds" available but even they seem to have restrictors !!! ). Thanks in advance for any help.

Patrick

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Most all the shower arm diverters that I see are pretty 'full-port'. A local plumbing supply shop will typically stock a few.

SailorMan

Reaction score
Any shower head or hand held comes with flow restriction. I don't think the diverters are the problem.
I can connect the same shower head directly to the 1/2" pipe from the wall and then run it through any of these diverters and the difference is very obvious.

SailorMan

Reaction score
Most all the shower arm diverters that I see are pretty 'full-port'. A local plumbing supply shop will typically stock a few
Well if you can specifically name a single one, I will take a look at it. I have checked many and they all force the water through these tiny 3/16" holes. I'm getting tired of returning them to the dealer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks