Shower/Tub venting

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by TheGewp, Oct 6, 2019.

1. TheGewp

TheGewp Member

Can i vent a shower and a bathtub on the same 1.5" vent? I have a back to back shower/tub currently and i am remodeling the shower side. I am hoping i can combine the vents for each into one. Something like the image attached? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Almost, but not quite. Below that top connection, it's a drain and can't be used as a vent. But, if you bring a vent up from the lower one, you can then attach it to the vent above so you don't need to run two vent lines all the way up. Normally, you'd revent the line 42" above the floor, or 6" above the height of the highest drain (the 42" comes from a potential 36" counter plus the 6").

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

5. TheGewp

TheGewp Member

What if i used a double fixture tee instead of stacking them? Also, off topic, why are bathtubs usually shown with 1.5" pipe and showers with 2"? Can i use 2" on a tub? Thanks!!

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

A tub has some storage so if the drain goes slower, there is time to empty the tub. A shower would overflow quickly.

Yes, you can use 2 on a tub.

7. jadnashua

There may be a smaller selection of drains in 2" than 1.5", but they're available.

8. TheGewp

TheGewp Member

Makes sense. How about using a tee in the image i attached?

9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I think you could use a double santee, but better would be that double fixture fitting that you mentioned. Use a 2x2x2x2 and reduce for the tub somewhere along the line... maybe at the trap, or even at the double fixture fitting.

What I am not sure of is whether there is a problem with your original drawing with two santees.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  10. jadnashua

Note that the trap arm cannot go down (beyond the nominal 1/4"/foot slope) until it is vented.

11. TheGewp

TheGewp Member

Basically i would like to do this: https://terrylove.com/images/double_lav_rough_2.jpg with a shower and a tub that are back to back. It is the only way to combine the vents without ripping a wall apart. I am trying to remove the shower vent to make room for a niche in the shower wall and avoid working around a floor joist. Can i use a 2x2x2x2 double fixture tee and size down to a 1.5" line for the tub and vent and leave it at 2" for the shower and drain to the stack? Thanks!

12. TheGewp

TheGewp Member

Just wonted to bump this thread. Can i use a 2" double fixture for a back to back shower and tub? Thanks!