Shower surround not coming together

Users who are viewing this thread

colbran

Reaction score
Late 1800-early 1900’s house. Got the tub level, no leveling cement under it. Is this necessary?

The bigger issue, the tub surround isn’t coming together straight. Lines are straight and it’s level for the back piece which is in, siliconed and screwed to the wall without issue, but the walls aren’t level, so there’s a larger gap at the bottom than at the top in the corners where the two smaller pieces are coming together. Is there a way to fix this?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if tub is solidly supported no you dont need cement of any type. I put mortar but many can be properly installed without.
no opinion on how yours is set since I have no info.
the walls are out of plumb and square would effect the joints in corner you can fur out a side wall to correct or scribe panels to fit

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
.....The bigger issue, the tub surround isn’t coming together straight. ..........
A lesson learned for those who read this. No home has straight walls (wood frame), 90º corners and a perfectly level floor or vertical walls. Dry fit first.

I had a similar situation. I gutted my bathroom and at the corner shower, one wall leaned back toward the ceiling and I never checked it with a level. It made for a terrible corner to get the tile and grout lines to match up as I cut the tile going up the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
Level is not sufficient. If you have an acrylic or steel tub, the main point of mortar pile support is to stop the flex in the tub bottom.

colbran

Reaction score
The tub is solid and level. No issues whatsoever with that. The studs on both sides are completely level and true as well. It’s the original wall of the bathroom that are wavy, unfortunately.

Eman85

Reaction score
Tub should be set according to manufacturer's directions. Walls have to be plumb or shimmed or sistered to get walls plumb. If the studs are out of line same deal with sistering and shimming. Some tub surrounds are attached with adhesive to the studs, not silicon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks