Shower Drain for pan Info

Users who are viewing this thread

Preston G

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster, but long time moocher of info here.

Background: I am hopefully putting a shower kit in my basement bathroom addition this weekend. Fiberglass pan and walls. Drain is 2", stubbed about 8" above the floor. A 4" PVC pipe was placed around it in the concrete for the drain assembly clearance (I actually have to chisel out the pipe itself because it is slightly too small for the drain nut). As far as skills, I'm no plumber, but I am a handy guy that's worked pretty much every other trade besides plumbing.

The question:
-- As for the drain itself, the age old brass vs PVC question is out there. Most poeple seem to prefer brass because it comes apart easier if it ever needs service. In my case, if it leaks, the whole dang shower kit is coming out, os I don't really consider that a factor. As such, I'm leaning towards the PVC and cementing the threads too.....am I being to " Mr. Overbuild it"??

I will be setting the pan in mortar as specified in the instructions. I'm working on setting the level correct right now.

Any other general advice with installing shower kits is appreciated. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been using brass with the rubber donut that tightens down with the notched ring. I can drop the pan down and then fit the donut and then snug it with the ring.
I use Silicone now and not putty for the flange.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-07.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks