Shower door too small/big for shower opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

VAhere

Reaction score
Hi, Just getting started on a bathroom remodel. The bathroom is very small and narrow, the shower opening is 51 3/4 and is the width of the bathroom. We want to replace this with a glass shower door to help open the space a bit. Heres the dilemma, I am seeing great deals on sliding shower doors up to 49" and ones above 53" and nothing in-between under 1000 that are frameless. We can't do swing out because it would hit the toilet next to it, and just a shower panel will not leave a large enough opening. Would it be possible/advisable to buff out one wall 2 -3 inches to have one work? If possible would it be better to bring in that whole wall of the shower wall or just bring out a section to meet the door? Thanks guys, just brainstorming here.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the door have two sliding glass panels? If so, the dimensions represent the maximum width of the track. ON almost any of them, you can cut the track to fit. The only problem might be if the opening was a lot smaller, and then, the two panels, when both slid to one end, wouldn't leave a wide enough opening. When closed, there needs to be some overlap, and if you cut the trap, that overlap will be wider, and leave less opening, but that's not normally a problem. For example, say you needed to cut 3" off of the track...the panels would overlap 3" more than they would at their maximum width.

Cutting the track to the proper dimensions can be a little tricky. I've found that something like a radial arm saw with a carbide blade cuts it nice and smooth and square (assuming it's made out of aluminum).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The ones above 53" would be a 60" door, so each panel will be about 30 1/2 to 32 inches to give an overlap. With a 52" opening even when both are fully open/stacked, the opening would only be 20-21 1/2 , (maybe less if one of the doors has a limiting stop to prevent complete stacking), and the ideal opening is about 24".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a minimum opening by code to a shower through the door. I think that's 24", but am not positive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks