Should I Convert My Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathan Oltz

Reaction score
I recently bought a house with a leaking well jet pump. I'd like to replace the well pump and old pressure tank. I have a company that did our UV light that would like to put in a submersible pump, another plumber who would like too replace the old unit with a new pressure tank and jet pump. For the replacement jet pump setup it would be half of what the submersible pump would cost. The well is a shallow well that's about 200ft from the house.

Anyone have any input on what the best option is?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
For a shallow well either will work. I prefer submersibles because they don't need priming, give more flow for the horsepower, will give higher pressure when needed, are silent, and water cooled instead of air cooled. However, you can get jet pumps that will make good pressure if chosen carefully. Either will work with a Cycle Stop Valve system to deliver strong constant pressure to the house, and work with a much smaller pressure tank.
https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/reviews

Sub and PK1A.jpeg

Jet Pump PK1A.jpeg

laynes69

Reaction score
We just paid almost $3,000 dollars to have a 3" grunfos pump, new 44 gallon pressure tank and the casing extended and welded to remove our well pit and deep well jet pump. It was the best money we have spent. Our pressure went from 25-40 to 45-65 and there's no more priming or dealing with the old setup. Our new pump runs very little compared to the old and it feels like we live in the city now! If you have the opportunity to remove the jet pump and install the submersible, I highly recommend it.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Good to know. I just installed a shallow well pump. If I replace it, I may go submersible like you did. Still years away though, hopefully.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks