Short inlet for wall tube - how to address?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jared248

Reaction score
Hello,
I have installed a new vanity and upon reinstalling the plumbing, I came across a few issues. I've include a picture to reference:
  1. I tried to maintain the wall tube that was previously there, but with the slight movement of the re-install I seemed to have jarred the seal at the wall. There is a lot of pipe dope there already so I am inclined to think this was a quick fix for a previous leak. If the wall inlet is very short, is there a good way to address this when buying/installing a new wall pipe/p-trap? There is a very slow drip and only when the sink is full and drained.
  2. If I replace the wall pipe, is it wise to move to fully plastic?
  3. More of a note but I had used a flex downpipe since the current wall pipe extends ~1 inch further than the sink drain... I'd like to get away from using this especially if I'm replacing the wall pipe and have the ability to shorten it by an inch or so.
Thanks for the help!
Jared

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 202

Reach4

Reaction score
I tried to maintain the wall tube that was previously there, but with the slight movement of the re-install I seemed to have jarred the seal at the wall. There is a lot of pipe dope there already so I am inclined to think this was a quick fix for a previous leak. If the wall inlet is very short, is there a good way to address this when buying/installing a new wall pipe/p-trap? There is a very slow drip and only when the sink is full and drained.
The thing you call a wall tube is usually called the trap arm of a p-trap. The thing that stops the leakage is a washer. The washer is probably 1-1/2 inch, but if the trap is 1-1/4, you would use a reducing gasket. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...with-Rubber-Reducing-Washers-C2698C/205154062 gives you one of each, plus a new nut.
If I replace the wall pipe, is it wise to move to fully plastic?
Each works. Plastic is easier to cut and costs less.
More of a note but I had used a flex downpipe since the current wall pipe extends ~1 inch further than the sink drain... I'd like to get away from using this especially if I'm replacing the wall pipe and have the ability to shorten it by an inch or so.
Yes. You can get tailpiece extensions which are not flexible/corrugated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks