Short Cycling Well Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

schmeckp

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to wells, but have been reading about short cycling, and noticed my pump is only running ~20-25 seconds to refill the pressure tank. I don't have a lot of knowledge about my system, but I've detailed out what I can gather from labels below.

Should first step be to drain the system and check the pressure on the tank? Replace the pressure gauge so I can see when the pump is actually turning on / off?

Original factory pressure switch set to 40-60. Pressure gauge is old and non functioning - needle stuck at ~63.

Sta-rite Signature 2000 SR60 10 01 tank - 15.5gal draw down for 40-60, factory set to 38. The tank / pressure switch is about 17 years old.

3/4hp Franklin electric pump motor 2445079004. Unknown pump - I did find a Redjacket 4in submersible pump manual in my house materials (we're 3rd owner), but I don't know if that's what is currently in the well.

Per the drilling info - well is 96ft deep / sand and gravel, pumping level 88ft, static water level 60ft. 6" black pipe to 93 ft, 93 to 96ft is 5in/.020 slotted stainless.

1" copper inside the house from the pump to tank to house. 4x20 whole house sediment filter, whole house carbon filter (2.5cu ft), whole house water softener (2.5cu ft).

Reach4

Reaction score

Bannerman

Reaction score
After adding air to the tank, you may want to check it again after a 1 or 2 days to ensure the pressure remains consistent. While an annual check of the tank's pre-charge pressure is common, because you don't know when it was last checked and as the short cycling suggests a waterlogged tank, it will be then appropriate to check the tank again shortly to ensure it is holding air.

schmeckp

Reaction score
I was unfamiliar.
http://www.pumpsandwells.com/mm5/PDFs/Starite fibrewound_tank_specs.pdf

Step 1 would be to check the air precharge. It likely has dropped. Air precharge is always checked and set with water pressure zero.

I suspect a replacement air cell may no longer be available, but might as well see if topping up the air charge helps your drawdown.

I drained the tank and checked the pre-charge, and was coming up at 0. Set it to 38, flushed the sediment, and so far it appears to be holding. Is it common to find a pre-charge of 0, or would that mean that there is likely a failed air cell? I've ordered a new pressure gauge, and will drain the tank again in a couple days and check the pre-charge once more.

Thanks for your help!

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
My situation was very similar to yours last week & Reach4 guided me through the remedy.
My tank was also at zero ... but I suspect the pressure just dropped over time ..... I had not checked it in a decade or more. The system continues to function as expected now.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Air getting out of the tank is not a good thing. There is usually a reason. Either air gets out the Schrader, which a new cap with gasket will fix, or it gets out from the bladder/diaphragm being torn, which is more common. The bladder/diaphragm goes up and down every time the pump cycles on and off. This is like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. Eliminate the repetitive cycling by using a Cycle Stop Valve and the bladder in the tank will last many times longer as will every thing else in the pump system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks