Sharkbite to water heater

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by K2, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Many of the o-rings in faucets and valves need to slide or rotate. In a sharkbite, once it is installed, it's stationary, so it should be pretty long-term. Neoprene as used in a no-hub seems to last a very long time, and the o-ring is probably similar. deriding them out of hand is your right, but may be unfounded. Testing says they last. Improper installation can damage them and could either cause them to fail on install, or early.

2. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Plumber, self employed
    Valid points on the comparison between mobile & static rubber parts.
    My point...observe the condition of a toilet flapper used on public water supplies after just a few years in some areas.

Jim, mechanical gaskets aren't under pressure...and my state only allows them underground.

3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Service Plumber
    My point would be the o-ring in a Sloan Valve...
    They seem to last a few years...

4. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Plumber, self employed
    ...and they're intentionally made to be accessed for replacement.

5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Service Plumber
    Still though the only time they ever get replaced is when you cut one sliding the valve back into the stop check...
    They don't mysteriously go bad!