Shark bite for water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

GizzyGone

Reaction score
I’m installing a new water heater, and was going to solder the water lines all up: but I just started reading that you’re better off using shark-bite whips to limit the electrolysis?

what are the thoughts here? The braided shark-bite connectors would be a lot easier, but I’m not opposed to soldering copper either....

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Most water heaters come with a dielectric nipple . If you want to be safe get a dielectric union C x F and take the union apart before soldering

Then when it cools you can replace the insulating plastic sleeve and rubber in the face of the union

Reach4

Reaction score
Better than braided is corrugated copper or stainless. Some have push-on connections. Some solder. This is a Sharkbite offering:
697285011038.jpg

Braided is really a rubber that is covered with the braiding. That can degrade.

GizzyGone

Reaction score
Most water heaters come with a dielectric nipple . If you want to be safe get a dielectric union C x F and take the union apart before soldering

Then when it cools you can replace the insulating plastic sleeve and rubber in the face of the union
So no need for an additional dielectric union? Just get a 3/4 female adaptor and go?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So no need for an additional dielectric union? Just get a 3/4 female adaptor and go?

Yes, the nipples are plastic lined inside.
The solid copper or stainless are much better than braided. I see way too many leaks with braided supplies on water heaters. The solid corrugated will last as long as the water heater.

corrugated-wh-supply-01.jpg

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If your going to use copper tubing solder a C X F adapter with a piece at least 6" long so as not to damage the dielectric nipple.

Once soldered and cooled then screw the adapter onto the nipple mad install a valve on both hot and cold water lines and return is applicable

If you don't have at least 6" then use a heat sink to protect the nipples from being over heated

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks