Shallow well problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

huskyman

Reaction score
Have a 5 yr old shallow well in basement. Flo-Tec FP4322-08 with shallow well kit. 1 1/4" pipe (36" point) is at 26' 2" from pump intake. Static water level is 15' 5" from priming tee at pump inlet. . Screen purged with 4 gal. of vinegar overnite twice. Water runs down pipe like a "rathole" with a garden hose after the purging. Still can't get a prime! There is a vacuum on the pipe when taking out the priming plug, so I believe there are no air leaks. Is the pump worn out or what? Could just a couple of summers worn this thing out? Need some help here!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Couple of summers might be all you get out of a Flotec. But is sounds like you still don't have it primed. Try pumping from a barrel or other container of water to test the pump.

huskyman

Reaction score
Couple of summers might be all you get out of a Flotec. But is sounds like you still don't have it primed. Try pumping from a barrel or other container of water to test the pump.
Valveman-I tried the pump with a big tub of water and a 3 ft. intake and it works fine. Just checked out the static level today and it is the same. Repurged the pipe with garden hose , only getting a little fine gray sand up, unlike when I first purged it last week. Forced city water pressure on the pipe and also air. Filled the pipe with water and it again ran down to static level within 30 seconds or less. What pump is recommended for shallow well use with a lot of iron? When I first used the well in 2011, it was pumping 10 gal a minute easy and over time went down hill. Only used it for outdoor watering in the summer. Would the vinegar deal work a couple times during the season? Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Probably just need to run a wire through the jet nozzle. Iron stops up things like that. But also suction leaks are hard to find because they will suck in air but not leak out water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks