Shallow well by lake

Users who are viewing this thread

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Success...sort of.

I managed to drive the sand point 8ft deep easily enough (reminder that water table is at 3ft). Unfortunately, the drive coupling didn't prevent the threads from being damaged. I did not have a drive cap so I used a second drive coupling at the top of the drop pipe. I pounded directly on the drive coupling. The pipe buckled midway through the threads where the coupling ended. I'm hoping that the coupling at the sandpoint fared better. I guess I'll never know. Maybe the fact that it was a continuous-weld pipe from the big-box store had something to do with it.

Anyways, I used a flexible rubber coupling to attach a check valve to the drop pipe. I attached a hand pump to the check valve. Got water after just a few strokes. Very muddy at first but cleared up after a minute or so. At the end of the season, I'll connect my jet pump to the pipe to flush and develop the well. Hopefully I'll get clear water. If I do, I'll have it tested. I'm connecting a U/V filter anyways.

Any reason why I can't use the flexible coupling as a permanent fix? If I can borrow/rent a 1-1/4" pipe threader, I'll eventually try to fix it.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I’ve used a rubber coupling on an intake pipe before. Didn’t work. It blew apart right after the pump stopped pulling water.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I'm putting it on the drop pipe before the check valve so it will only see negative pressure when the pump is working. If it was between the check valve and the pump, it would be at 60 psi, and that is probably not a good idea. Anyways, it will probably be a temporary fix until I can find a ratchet pipe threader.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Figured I'd provide an update. Well has been working great for the past month or so. Water is crystal clear. Will get it tested for e-coli next spring. I'll also pour a concrete pad around the pipe.

Because of the damaged threads, I had to use a coupling to attach the check valve. No issues so far and it has held prime fine.

The two tees at the bottom are just there to provide stiffness to the PVC drop pipe. I used a drum sander to ream out the inside of the tees so that it could slip over the 1-1/4" pipe. I know I could have used saddle fittings but I could not find them locally.

Attachments

• 20200830_135104.jpg
    20200830_135104.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 154

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
On a related note, if water were to freeze inside the pipe, how likely is it to burst?

I removed the check valve for the winter and the water level in the pipe is about 12" below grade. It can easily get to -30°C here and the frost line is about 3 or 4 ft.

To make sure nothing happens this winter, I stuck a piece of foam pipe insulation INSIDE the pipe. It won't prevent freezing obviously but hopefully it will allow the water to expand without busting the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
On a related note, if water were to freeze inside the pipe, how likely is it to burst?
I would expect high. That's Ontario, Canada, right? Can't you blow the water out before serious freezing?

The two tees at the bottom are just there to provide stiffness to the PVC drop pipe. I used a drum sander to ream out the inside of the tees so that it could slip over the 1-1/4" pipe.
I presume something plugs the side leg of the water-carrying tee.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Can't you blow the water out before serious freezing

Yes, Ontario. The level in the pipe is at the water table. So can't really blow it out without having it blow back in.

I presume something plugs the side leg of the water-carrying tee.

No. I reamed out the two tees so that they slip over the PVC and the metal pipes. For the PVC drop pipe, it's one full piece from the top 90 to the bottom 90. No water flow to the tee.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would consider getting some Molykote 111, or maybe even silicone vacuum grease, for the threads of that threaded plug. The purpose is to prevent small vacuum leaks. Foam shaving cream on joints can disclose vacuum leaks while you are pumping.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Odds are high that it could burst but placing a closed-cell foam insulation inside to displace some of the water might help but there is also a chance that the freezing ground will exert force on the pipe.

I would erect some snow fence in a circle around the well and then put straw inside the circle. The snow fence should capture drifting snow and keep the snow from getting scoured away. It would also deter snowmobiles from driving over the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks