Shallow point well sucking air

Users who are viewing this thread

Tssleeper

Reaction score
Trying to understand why a lake front sand point well that has been in service for 50 years is now sucking air. A new 1hp pump and new storage tanks have been installed this year. The pump primes and pulls lake water and fills the tanks but never reaches prime with the well point , it will reach 30 but go no further. It seems to only be pulling air yet we are able to pitcher pump water up the pipe but it does seem to have a lot of air in it. Have put vinegar down the pipe for a day and high pressure hosed the pipe. My 90 year old father in law has never heard of pulling or cleaning a point. I put a check valve on the top of the point to maintain the vacuum and have filled the pipe between the pump and the point with water but have not been able to maintain vacuum pressure. Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no experience with a sand point. If you are sucking air, I expect there is a vacuum leak. Try slathering all accessible joints with shaving foam, and see if it sucks in when you run the pump.

If the sand point were limed/clogged up it would not cause air to be sucked in. It would reduce the water flow coming in. Rather than vinegar, Nu-well pellets would be more effective at clearing liming up.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/nu-well-tablets.24506/

Etbrown4

Reaction score
Did you ever get it working? Ive plugged a 3' pvc well point with sugar sand and flushed it with a water hose from above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks