Sewer smell in second floor shower only while other 2nd shower on 2nd floor is in use.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by teqp, Aug 2, 2017.

1. teqp

teqp New Member

So this just started to happen within the last 2 weeks. When the second shower is being used (on the second floor) the shower stall in the master (also on second floor) starts to emit a sewer smell from the drain and some small amount of water drips out of the shower head. This had never happened before. Any ideas as to what can be causing this?

Thank you for the help.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Try putting a couple cups of water into the drain of the master shower before using the second shower. If that helps, we can discuss the situation.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    The couple of cups of water will momentarily refill the (potentially) dry p-trap of the master bath shower. The p-trap is what prevents sewer gasses from escaping the drainage system back into the house. If the p-trap is dry for whatever reason, it's an open path. Using another drain will be pushing air around in the drainage system without something to block it.

IF that's what's happening, the goal then is to determine why. If it is, it's likely that the existing master bathroom shower is not properly vented, allowing other drains to siphon it dry enough to open a path because it loses its seal.

5. teqp

teqp New Member

I didn't do this yet. What is did do, was run the second bathroom shower for about 8 minutes and there was no smell in the master. This was on the same day when I smelled the sewer smell. Then today again no smell. So I have not added water down the aster shower drain since there is no smell. I guess I can do it next time the smell occurs and report back? I was think g maybe there is a drainage issue, but both showers drain nicely. Thank you both for the replies, I do appreciate it.

As mentioned in first post, this has only been happening in the last 2 weeks. The second shower has been used a lot prior and there was no smell.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

How do you think that would be meaningful?