Sewer Pipe Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Bvs999

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am remodeling my kitchen and when the contractor pulled off my old cabinets, I noticed there was a screw in a vertical drain pipe running from the second floor to first floor that drains a sink and HVAC condensate. Long story short, he did not call a plumber to fix it, but used a slide coupling that would be used for something like a sprinkler fix, similar to the below link.

I know this is not right, but:

1. Will it work, or will it clog or leak over time

2. If the right way is to open the drywall back up, should he use a Fernco and if so, which kind? Classic rubber, no hub or a shielded coupling

Thanks in advance

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
1714622730289.jpeg

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am remodeling my kitchen and when the contractor pulled off my old cabinets, I noticed there was a screw in a vertical drain pipe running from the second floor to first floor that drains a sink and HVAC condensate. Long story short, he did not call a plumber to fix it, but used a slide coupling that would be used for something like a sprinkler fix, similar to the below link.

I know this is not right, but:

1. Will it work, or will it clog or leak over time

2. If the right way is to open the drywall back up, should he use a Fernco and if so, which kind? Classic rubber, no hub or a shielded coupling

Thanks in advance

If I was going to dig into it, I would use a heavy duty no-hub band.
But you're saying it's just a nail hole. To install a no-hub band, you're going to have to cut the pipe to get the no-hub around the pipe. CUT PIPE vs. tiny nail hole... If I was my own house, I might just patch that shit with some 2-part epoxy if the rest of the pipe is in good condition. trust me, the 2-part epoxy will last longer than you.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does need to be replaced. That telescoping fitting is likely an obstruction that will catch material and clog up. A couple appropriately sized shielded couplings and pipe would do the trick since you have to cut out that extendo coupling now.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would remove the nail or screw, and only then apply one of the suggested fixes. Or in the case of a screw, maybe cut/grind off all but one pipe thickness of the screw shaft, and put the shortened screw back.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
During an inspection I found a hole in a vent pipe where it looked like someone shot a nail through the pipe mid stud bay. Water was geysering out. I was going to cut it and couple it, but my inspector found a chunk of wood, whittled a wedge and hammered it in til it stopped leaking and wiped ABS glue over it.. "Done" he exclaimed..

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
During an inspection I found a hole in a vent pipe where it looked like someone shot a nail through the pipe mid stud bay. Water was geysering out. I was going to cut it and couple it, but my inspector found a chunk of wood, whittled a wedge and hammered it in til it stopped leaking and wiped ABS glue over it.. "Done" he exclaimed..
hell yeah. best inspector ever.