Sewage pump hammering.

Users who are viewing this thread

bestc1

Reaction score
I installed a sewage pump for a basement bathroom, and I hear a loud noise every time the check valve closes. Is there any way to reduce the amount of noise from the water hammer? I have the pipe secured to a joist, but it doesn't seem to help. I swapped out the Flotec check valve that had clamps securing it to the PVC with one that's larger (white plastic) with compression fittings, and that didn't help either. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Zoeller check valve

try getting a Zoeller check valve somewhere.

they are made of a cast iron body and seem to be pretty quiet...

abvout the same price as the plastic.

also something else you should do is NOT tie that pipe to any joist.

that is just transferring the sound to the woood and you will always hear it..

you ar better off to hang the pipe to the rafters with strapping and
maybe wrap the pipe with a towell or something first where you are going to put that hanger....

anything to insualte the pipe and keep it from transferring that jarring soiund into the wood.

any hangers you have on that pipe should be wrapped with a towel or rubber armaflex first then re-hung and it should keep the sound down.

HeatherM

Reaction score
Quiet Check Valve

There is a 'quiet' check valve manufactured by Magic Plastics.
The sales rep is T. Matera & Associates (630) 769-0400/fax (630) 769-0401. You can call or email me to find a local distributor...heather@tmatera.com.
The quiet check valves are sold with white or clear bodies.
Part #'s:
0823-15, 1½" Quiet Check Valve (white)
0823-20, 2" Quiet Check Valve (white)
0823-15C, 1½" Quiet Check Valve (clear)
0823-20C, 2" Quiet Check Valve (clear)
Hopefully this info helps :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks