Self-Employed Insurance

Users who are viewing this thread

Construct30

Reaction score
Some thing I learned that I would advise all of you to check. Check the limit on you health insurance for diagnostic testing. I thought I had good insurance, but the limit on diagnostic testing sucks and the diagnostic testing costs as much as the surgery and treatments. Talk about going broke from a lawsuit try this one on for size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
I have my own insurance as well. I mean, I pay for it on my own. Insurance, wow, you need to be a doctor to understand it. It has absorbed me dry at times financially. You are so right in what you say, you got that right. Check your insurance, read those books that come with it, even a bigger suggestion from someone who knows check the insurance with a fine-toothed comb before, during and after you pick it up, do this periodically. Another suggestion, if you get copies of ~~this is not a bill, explanation of benefits~~really, pay attention to it. And, with most insurances their are pre-existing clauses, which means, be really careful if you have a major illness and decide to change or cancel any policy. It is really important that anyone understands that some policies have a look back of at least 5 to 7 years, which means that anything seen during that period may not be covered. There are periods of what is called, open enrollment, which might give anyone with certain companies, a chance to change insurance within that company without penalty of a pre-existing clause. One other thing regarding testing, imaging in particular, know when your renewal starts and ends. Get the testing, if possible, at times within those 2 dates so, it best fits your health, and you still stay within their rules on it, so it is covered the best. Just one more thing, remember to keep tallies of the expenditures, keep your medical records organized for premiums, payments, etc, it can all be tax deductible if at a certain amount. With a major illness it racks up fast. Also, their are lifetime limits what a company will pay. It sucks, but, even with 5 dx's of cancer and an assortment of other pretties, lol, I am not thankfully, near it. The limits are usually pretty huge, but, just another thing to check into if it were me. I advocate eating right, excercise and getting to know your body. The reason is also to prevent running out of insurance. For example, I know when I need scans done, need to see the doctor, etc, by paying attention to my body. If I am unusually tired but, eating right, sleeping enough~~ then, my blood counts could be low. That might warrant having to pay for blood work. If I find a bump ( which is symptomatic of lymphoma or develop a blood clot ( I had one in my leg) then, that would warrant to move up my scans. I won't bore anyone with the rest of things, but, suffice to say, it pays to take care of yourself all the way around. Some companies offer seminars on health insurance and if anyone is lucky enough to have a company which does, I would suggest taking in one. Insurance is very very tricky. Sorry to be so long winded.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I’m using Anthon Blue cross blue shield through the Farm Barrow. It’s $1,300 (3 months) for me, wife, and her 5 year old. I have a secondary policy thought State Farm for $120 month. I still have my Aflac accident witch is $24.10 a month.

I did do a lot of reading on how primary and secondary polices play off each other and the yearly and lifetime limits for everything.

I know some of you are thinking I pay way too much but I’m ADHD, Bipolar, and have 2 bad shoulders. I’m on 2 pills a day and will need 2 both shoulders worked on in the next 10 years.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Actually, that is quite good. If I were you, I would be very happy with my choices I made. I hope your shoulders go well. I have a girlfriend who needed her shoulder operated on, too. She works in a bridal store and from repeatedly using the steam iron she did something to the rotor cuff, I think she called it.

*I am assuming that 1300 is annually.

Last edited:

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you look at the cost of good health care on your own your looking to be paying $300 a month for one person. A lot of companies pay up to 1/2 of the cost and people are paying $150 a month for good knows what.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
“Self employed�

I think that’s what I do because I own / run my own business that makes more then it spends. My wife thinks she is self employed but she’s still in the start up and is about a month away form the break even point. IMO when she breaks even then she’s self employed; in till then she’s just a leach. But she’s doing well with a low cost start up on buying delinquent storage spaces, cleaning them out, and selling the stuff.

You would be surprised on the stuff that people leave in those spaces and don’t come back for. She pays $100 to $500 for a unit depending on size and most of the time you can quadruple + the money off it. So far we have about 150 pounds of silver serving sets and flat wear, jewelry, found $3,000 in cash in one, and every thing else you can think of. Some goes on eB*y, some to consiment shops, a lot gets donated, some we can’t find buyers for, and some of the good stuff were saving.

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, yes at least the 300.00 a month easy. After my husband's passing, since I was on his insurance, I was given a choice of Cobra, for myself and 2 sons would had been 985.00 a month. Hello~~I not only lost my husband but, ~~also, sadly to say and no polite way of saying this, half of my income per month. His income totally. So, almost a grand a month is like more than my mortage and totally unaffordable. Now, for me alone it was like 3 something. I made alot of mistakes with insurance which makes me now a pro. I talked, readed and breathed insurance for a solid year. I worked it out by the grace of God and some luck. Since I cannot be without insurance if I want to dance someday at my sons weddings I have elected direct pay insurance. That works for me. I get the best insurance coverage this way. I do have a concern about if I should have to be hospitalized would my kids remember to send in my payment, or am I going to be rolled out into the streets in my jammies. You know kids, :D and mine are no different.

Your wife's idea sounds enterprising and clever.

Construct30

Reaction score
My wife needs a very expensive test to help determine her treatment its new, the company that owns the test signed a contract with the insurance company so between the two of them it will be covered. At least not all big medical companies are bad. I was surprised how quickly they worked out the deal, it only took two days. I wish it would all happen that easy.

Construct30

Reaction score
What's "self emoloyed"? ;)

Really should check my spelling before I post, too bad you can't edit titles. You always see it right after you post it. The little finger on my right hand don't work, tangled with a router once a while back. It's easy for a p to become an o and a few others. At least you did wink when you pointed out my blunder.

Cookie

Reaction score
Most of the companies will work with the oncologist on things especially if a drug is new or in trials. There are some stinkers but most are cooperative. I was on one particular drug and was only the second person to have taken this drug to develop a side reaction which baffled them all. I was simply amazed at the efforts of the company and oncologist. I told them I thought they should name it after me :D because of my reaction to it, it had to be placed on the manufactures information sheet.

So far as making mistakes wow, I hope no one looks at my grammar, punctuation and sentence structure for that is a lost cause. :D I was rereading my prior post and chuckled for I created a word in it which doesn't even exist in the english language. I was going to edit it out but it is too funny so I am leaving it.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Really should check my spelling before I post, too bad you can't edit titles. You always see it right after you post it. The little finger on my right hand don't work, tangled with a router once a while back. It's easy for a p to become an o and a few others. At least you did wink when you pointed out my blunder.

Just poking fun. ;) I hope you had medical insurance for your finger

Cookie

Reaction score
u10102329.jpg

This is a good avatar for you Construct :)

Last edited:

Construct30

Reaction score
Just poking fun. ;) I hope you had medical insurance for your finger

No insurance for my finger back then, young and stupid 23 years ago and married for two years too poor. That's why it doesn't work now hurts like crazy when it's cold. Makes it bad for typing p's and things with that finger. At least I have some thing to blame all those mistakes on. As long as you add the wink poke all the fun you want, makes me laugh.

Construct30

Reaction score
Someone was nice and fixed my bad spelling for me on the title.

I just hope some one can benefit from the thread. Paying a little bit closer attention to your family's health care insurance can help as much as anything else to secure your financial future as a business person.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I do all my writing in Word and cut and copy to the form. This way most of the words are spelled right even if it’s not the word I wanted.

Cookie

Reaction score
Just incase you didn't know, their is a spell-check here on site. Where you type to reply to a thread, above all the smileys, their is a check mark with the lettering ABC above it. Just clik on that. It works.:)

Last edited:

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I like my word better. That way I can look at a web site and copy some of the info off of it and look smart every now and then. But I could do it in the text box.

i don't see the ABC

Cookie

Reaction score
I wonder if it could be my eyesight. I don't see very small print even with glasses, maybe, it says something other than ABC?? Do you see a check-mark? I know I am seeing that. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks