Seeking advice about tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

kate tynes

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new home and the current problem is the guest bathroom tub spout was not caulked and had a lot of front to back play from the wall. upon unscrewing the tub spout to investigate I found that it was the threaded kind that had an adapter threaded onto the pipe coming out of the wall. after searching a little it looks like this guy soldered the adapter onto the backwards (correct me if I'm wrong) with the o-ring on the wall side and threads on the spout side. My questions are that if that's the case what are my options for fixing the problem? Do I need to cut the pipe behind the adapter and install a new piece of pipe and then new adapter? I will probably have to open the wall on the backside of the plumbing to get at it? Is this a job I could do or best to call a plumber? etc. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you have an adapter like this one? If so, a torch and solder will be needed to remove and resolder it.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

kate tynes

Reaction score
exactly like that one except the copper pipe doesn't come out of the end and its on backwards and its so close to the tile wall that the o ring actually sits recessed in the wall so would I have to open the wall from the backside to even get at it? the o ring is just inside the wall there, if I pull it out it comes out just far enough to see the o ring but doesn't expose any of the pipe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot spout.jpg
    Screen Shot spout.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the brass fitting is hot enough, it can be slipped off. The solder has to melt.
A job for a plumber and someone with water handy. I would not point any flame toward the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
Remove the o-ring before melting, or consider replacing the o-ring.

Is the pipe long enough? I doubt it. So I think you would have to solder on a coupler and a pipe to extend before soldering the adapter back on the right way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks