Searching for Air Conditioner CAPACITOR

Users who are viewing this thread

DMY

Reaction score
I have a Westinghouse branded air conditioner which I believe is actually built by Nordyne
It is a FS3BD-060k model 13+SEER 5 ton unit. I am having some confusion finding a
new capacitor for this unit - my capacitor just started making a loud buzzing noise. I
did manage to find a parts list and for my model the part number is 621717. Shopping
around, I'm seeing prices between $10 and $60 linked to this part number. I just found
one for $10 on Amazon:

80/7.5 MFD 370 Volt Dual Round Run Capacitor Replacement for Nordyne 621717

I'm not sure I should trust this purchase due to the low price. Maybe its a
cheap piece of crap ? Any recommendations as to whether I should I buy this
or should I be looking for a different brand ? Thanks !

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Most are about the same and generic and you can have them made with any label on them. All are made in China, Mexico or else where and you'll never find one made in the USA. The CAP is a part that frequently goes bad along with the 24v transformer and contactor, so there are plenty of labels out there. I would go to a HVAC local supplier. Most sell to the public and the CAP prices are about the same. They may carry two or three brands, mostly two. All are inexpensive and easy to change out. Go with the one you can get the fastest if you need it in a hurry. If it doesn't last for a few years then try another brand. Spending $10 or $60 does not guarantee its life span.

These three lug capacitors usually swell at the top when they go bad. These caps are for the compressor and the fan motor in one caps. When they go bad the fan fan motor will turn very slow and the compressor may alsemmit noise like it is straining. A buzz noise can also be a bad contactor (relay). In the housing near the cap, you'll see it. If it is bad you'll definitely will feel the relay vibrating.

DMY

Reaction score
Well, now the buzzing has stopped. It started after I installed a SPP6 hard start capacitor
yesterday. I tried to find the source of the buzzing with a wood dowel, touching the
existing capacitor and the contactor. Really could not tell which was making the noise.
Anyway - just trying to be proactive. My air cond is over a decade old - maybe 15 years.
thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Capacitors do not buzz nor make noise, good or bad. If you have R410a Refrigerant it still could be worth fixing. If it's an R22, don't waste a dime on it.

DMY

Reaction score
Capacitors do not buzz nor make noise, good or bad. If you have R410a Refrigerant it still could be worth fixing. If it's an R22, don't waste a dime on it.

So, could the buzzing have come from the CONTACTOR ? can they make buzzing noise ?

DMY

Reaction score

Ok, and how do I tell what kind of refrigerant it uses ? All I see on the internet refers to the date of manufacturing as the indicator... thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks