SanTee legal at 45?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmountain

Reaction score
I'm guessing this does not work, but since code considers 45 equal to verticle, would it then be legal to set a SanTee at 45? (All other aspects being normal/conventional in that the trap arm would come in horiz to a street 45 to the SanT, vent out the top through another street 45, and drain out the bottom.)

Greenmountain

Reaction score
wow, cool! I was thinking it seemed similar in configuration to trap arm into a wye; and I feel like I remember reading that (in CO at least) trap arms MUST drain into a SanTee, so thought maybe the 45 would break a literal interpretation of that?

Here's a pic to illustrate the arrangement I'm asking about...

45SanTee.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, not allowed in that sense for a trap arm that needs venting. What would be allowed would be rotate the san-tee 45 degrees about the side entry, so it is still at 2% slope while the straight inlet and outlet are vertical at 100% (1:1) slope.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
b/c the vent needs to be before trap arm drops down?
Yes. From inside of the pipe, if you were looking, you should be able to see the vent before the elevation changes enough to block it from view. UPC is more strict.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're allowed 2% grade, 1/4" per foot.
You're not allowed to use fittings and raise it at a crazy angle that defeats the purpose of venting.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
NOPE. the side inlet has to be horizontal, NOT vertical to be legal.
For drainage (both inlets are vented drains), all that matters is that the outlet is vertical. The only case where that rule differs from what you said is the configuration shown in the OP (if both inlets were vented drains).

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure what you want to do, but would this do it for you?
img_3.jpg

Greenmountain

Reaction score
Tilting the SanT to 45 would have facilitated things given my framing, etc, but I can still do it with the SanT vertical, so question was kinda more just out of curiosity
Thanks for all the replies:)

Reach4

Reaction score
The santee can tilt up to 45 degrees, but only in the plane where the trap arm is still horizontal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks