Salty and Brown After Regeneration

Users who are viewing this thread

Antlerman

Reaction score
We had a new softener professionally installed over 2 years ago - Hellenbrand ProMate 6.0. Until recently we've had no issues whatsoever. Recently, though, we've had a problem with very salty and dirty water when first using faucets the morning after a regeneration.

My initial reading of the troubleshooting section of the owners manual suggests low water pressure can cause salty water to be left behind. Since our well is only 61 ft deep and has a 4" casing, it is quite possible that's the cause of both the salty water and the dirty water - which I'm assuming is coming from the bottom of the well as it nears running out of water.

Could I solve this by slowing down the amount of time it takes for regeneration? Is there a way to set the regeneration process so that it doesn't use so much water - or at least not as quickly? Or am I on the wrong track altogether? What other options do I have?

Input much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bannerman

Reaction score
As the softener has been operating satisfactorily for >2-years, what has recently changed for this issue to suddenly occur?

If this is a symptom of a well issue, the well problem should be be investigated and corrected which should then restore the softener's intended regeneration capability.

Antlerman

Reaction score
As the softener has been operating satisfactorily for >2-years, what has recently changed for this issue to suddenly occur?

If this is a symptom of a well issue, the well problem should be be investigated and corrected which should then restore the softener's intended regeneration capability.
Thanks and you are correct. In October had top 6ft of steel casing replaced with pvc. Had lots of brown water that we had to flush afterwards. Had the softener guy out on Jan 20th and he cleaned the filter on top of the softener that cleans the water during regeneration. It was quite dirty and couldn't do its job.

Antlerman

Reaction score
Our softener is the Promate 6.0. The first regeneration was ok, but the most recent had some dirty brown water again. Not as bad as it was prior to the visit, but certainly an issue again. I'd like to clean it myself this time but don't know where exactly it is on the softener?

FruitfulPanda

Reaction score
Amateur here but it's possible the well work resulting in the dirty water caused the softener to operate off the dirty water for some time and depending on what was actually in that maybe the resin inside is fouled. I had my well pump replaced in the fall and recently had issues where my softener produces brown water initially and I think that's to blame. I tried resin cleaners a couple of times but still no change and I may need a new unit. If you haven't you should get the raw water tested to see if there's anything in it that may be causing problems for the softener and need to be filtered out before. I am getting mine tested tomorrow.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I routinely had brown after regeneration and I thought that might be sediment, I would increase the backwash time to at least 10 minutes. Or if I thought that junk had accumulated, I might do a one-time backwash for an hour.

If I had salty after regeneration, I would increase the brine draw time. That is because the portion of the BD cycle after the brine has been drawn out is slow rinse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks