Rusty well casing

Users who are viewing this thread

Malibru

Reaction score
My pump is less than two years old. Already, I'm seeing significant rusting above ground on the well casing. The technician who installed my pump said that this was normal "industry standard." Is this true? Seems to me that this shouldn't be happening. Also, in a separate question, after a bunch of rain in the area, the water in our home turned a slightly yellowish color. After almost a week, it has cleared up considerably, though not quite back to normal. Because this happened, we had the water tested, and now there is coliform present. In all other previous tests over the past year and a half, water was totally clear and clean.

Any advice on these two issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Btw, well is over 700' deep and has 15GPM.

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 374

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a pitless adapter, so the problem is not a bad or low well seal.

I have to think you are getting leakage into the top area of the well. I also expect the casing does not go down to near the bottom.

What is the OD or ID of your casing?

What is that fitting in the side of the casing? I don't think that is the cause of your problem. I am not a pro.

Malibru

Reaction score
You have a pitless adapter, so the problem is not a bad or low well seal.

I have to think you are getting leakage into the top area of the well. I also expect the casing does not go down to near the bottom.

What is the OD or ID of your casing?

What is that fitting in the side of the casing? I don't think that is the cause of your problem. I am not a pro.
Thanks for your reply. OD is 6". The fitting next to the well is for the pump. What about the rust on the outside of the casing? Is that normal?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. OD is 6". The fitting next to the well is for the pump.
I was asking about item A.

But also, what is strap G?

Item F is a pvc pipe being used as a conduit for the wires. I would paint that and E also.

Due to your contamination symptoms in the recent rain, I suspect you should have the well people dig down at J and apply proper sealing for many feet down. But that would be expensive. Does this area flood in the rains?
img_2.jpg

What about the rust on the outside of the casing? Is that normal?
Yes, normal. Feel free to paint with paint made for painting over rust. I used POR-15 primer on mine.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Steel casing will rust. That is normal. Not normal for rain to cause the well water to change color or be contaminated. Find out what kind of sealing they did to the well casing. Either the casing is not properly sealed to the ground or the rain has found another path to the aquifer like a gopher hole nearby. It looks like water has been running down beside the casing, which isn't good.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Due to your contamination symptoms in the recent rain, I suspect you should have the well people dig down at J and apply proper sealing for many feet down. But that would be expensive. Does this area flood in the rains?
Before going there, make sure you are not contaminating your sample. It happens far too often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks