Room Needed for Bathtub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyn1

Reaction score
I'm planning on installing a bathtub on a second floor addition I'm adding to my house. I have 10" joists up there. Is there going to be enough room to put a bathtub drain and trap underneath this? I can't go directly down either, and must do a 90 over to where I can connect to the main drain down. Would a P-trap be allowable here? Should I leave some kind of access point to this area?

tonyn1

Reaction score
So a P-trap is allowable? I don't think an S-trap would fit in there unless I was going directly down. How about leaving access to it?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't use an S trap, you must use a p-trap.

dwv_b2.jpg

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Fixtures having concealed slip joint connections shall be provided with an access panel or utility space ...
so as to make such connections readily accessible for inspections and repair." (From the Uniform Plumbing Code).
Unless your waste & overflow has "glued" pipe connections only, access is required, unless things have changed recently. Lots of people
ignore this requirement, and lots of people seriously regret that decision later on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks