Rheem 21i40dv Shooting Hot Water From Top

Users who are viewing this thread

suggsy

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Rheem 21i40dv that started shooting water from the top connection last night. We have turned off the gas to the water heater and of course, turned the water heater off to prevent the water from shooting. As you can see from the pictures, I need a new connection it looks like. Or maybe it just need to be cleaned due to the corrosion. Can anyone help me through the process of replacing or cleaning?

20140608_080535.jpg20140608_080716.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's bee leaking a long time.
You need to pinpoint the source of the leak. If it's from the flex connector, replacing that will do. Or it could be from the nipple going into the tank.
Worst case, it's from the tank.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Start with the obvious: replace the galvanized nipple with a water heater nipple of a brass nipple. If still leaking, replace the washer in the copper flex connector, or the connector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks